|Christopher Paul Colfer|
|Born:||May 27, 1990|
|Occupation:||Actor, singer, producer and writer|
Christopher "Chris" Paul Colfer (born May 27, 1990), is an American actor born in Clovis, California. He is best known for his portrayal of Kurt Hummel on Glee, for which he received a Golden Globe Award in 2011 (Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in TV Series). He has written and has starred in the movie, Struck by Lightning, which was released in December 2012. He starred in the award-winning short film Russel Fish: The Sausage and Eggs Incident, and voiced a character in Marmaduke. He, along with fellow cast members Jane Lynch and Jonathan Groff, is openly homosexual. He was one of Time Magazines "100 Most Influential People in the World" in 2011.
Early life and education
Colfer was born in Clovis, California. While a student at Clovis East High School, Colfer was involved with the Speech & Debate program where he won "many speech and debate Champion titles," including placing 9th in the State Competition for Dramatic Interpretation, the drama club, the FFA, "was president of the Writer’s Club, editor of the school's literary magazine, and captain of Destination ImagiNation". As a high school senior, he wrote, starred in, and directed a spoof of Sweeney Todd entitled "Shirley Todd", in which all of the roles were gender-reversed. One of his real in-school experiences was later turned into a sub-plot for his character on Glee, when the high school teachers denied him the chance to sing Defying Gravity from the musical Wicked because it is traditionally sung by a woman. His grandmother, a minister, let him sing the song in her church.
When he was younger, he also starred in a version of The Sound of Music as the character 'Kurt'. At the age of eighteen, Colfer starred as Russel Fish in Russel Fish: The Sausage and Eggs Incident, a short film where an awkward teenager must pass a Presidential Physical Fitness test or fail gym class and lose his admission to Harvard University.
Colfer's first TV role came in 2009 when he was cast as Kurt Hummel on Fox's Glee as a gay singer who is bullied by the school football team. Colfer auditioned for the part of wheelchair-bound Artie Abrams, which eventually went to Kevin McHale. The show's creator, Ryan Murphy, was so impressed with Colfer that he created the role of Kurt specifically for him, and in the process, scrapped a planned character called Rajish so they could add Hummel. Colfer has explained that Hummel "puts on a very confident, 'I'm better than you' persona, but underneath it all he's the same anxious and scared teen everyone is/was at some point. In later episodes, he goes through an identity crisis, accepting and finding acceptance for who he is. [...] He's a tough guy in designer clothes". The character is also gay, which is at the crux of many of his conflicts on the show. Colfer has a high vocal range, as displayed in the episode "Wheels", in which his character demonstrates the unusual ability (for a man) of singing a "high F" (an F5). However, his character deliberately pretends to be unable to sing the note in order to spare his father the harassment he would receive for having a gay son.Chris Colfer appeared at the 2010 MTV VMAs on September 12, 2010.
Colfer won a Golden Globe for Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television for his role in Glee in 2011.
Chris has appeared on many lists and charts, but most notably, he was placed on Time Magazine's list of 100 Most Influential People of 2011. He is also a #1 New York Times Best Selling Author for The Land of Stories - The Wishing Spell. He was also placed on Forbes Hollywood 30 Under 30 List at the end of 2012.
Colfer stars in the coming-of-age comedy Struck by Lightning that has been set up with David Permut (Youth in Revolt). He is wrote the screenplay, produced it, and plays the main character. He says that he'd been writing the script since high school. Struck by Lightning premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 21, 2012, to great praise. It was released on VOD on December 19th, 2012, and tt will be officially released in select theatres on January 11th, 2013. He also released a book based on the movie prior entitled Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal.
Chris Colfer appeared in a charity performance of "8", a play about the same-sex marriage equality and proposition 8, on the March 3rd 2012. Colfer portrayed Ryan Kendall, a young man who was sent to therapy as a teenager for being gay.
Chris Colfer has signed a two-book deal with Little, Brown Books for Young Readers. The first was adventure novel that draws elements from the world of classic fairy tales. The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell hit stores on July 17, 2012. On April 1, 2013, it was announced that the second novel, The Land of Stories: The Enchantress Returns, will be released on August 6, 2013.
Chris Colfer has written another movie script, set to be filmed in the summer of 2012. It is to be set in about a 1930's asylum definitely to be R-rated.
Colfer has won TV Male Scene Stealer in 2010 for the Teen Choice Awards, and has been nominated Red Carpet Icon and TV Male Scene Stealer in 2011. Chris Colfer has won Teen Choice Actor in a TV comedy in 2012, as well as nominated for Fashion Icon in 2012.
In 2013, he won the 39th People's Choice Awards for Favorite TV Comedic Actor, coincidentally right after Lea Michele won the award for Favorite TV Comedic Actress.
Personal lifeColfer is openly gay and shared on Access Hollywood that his parents were accepting of him but he was frequently bullied at school. He originally auditioned for the role of Artie with the song "Mr. Cellophane" but Kevin McHale was selected for the role. However, the casting directors were so impressed by Colfer that they wrote the Kurt Hummel character into the show as a vehicle for him. Colfer commented on his casting, "It's good to have something positive, especially for kids in small towns, like myself, who need a little pick-me-up". Kurt Hummel has gone on to become an audience favorite. Colfer's sister, Hannah, suffers from severe epilepsy, and often experiences over fifty seizures in an hour. Colfer has commented that when he was younger he used acting as a method of escaping the stress involved with having a family member with disabilities. In April 2011, Time Magazine selected Colfer as one of the "100 Most Influential People," citing his breakthrough character on Glee. Colfer is referred to as a fantastic actor and has many followers.
Colfer appeared on the British chat show Friday Night with Jonathan Ross on June 18, 2010, along with his fellow Glee co-stars Amber Riley and Matthew Morrison. He demonstrated his skill with a pair of sai, revealing that he bought a pair of them on eBay and regularly practices in his trailer when not shooting.
Colfer is currently in a relationship with upcoming movie producer, Will Sherrod.
- The Land of Stories - The Wishing Spell (2012)
- Struck By Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal (2012)
- "Never forget, and never forgive! You remember their names, you remember their adresses, you should remeber anything! Don't listen to that; y'know, Forgive And Forget.. y'know crap, because... don't, don't, you get EVEN! And one day they'll regret it, because you'll post like their social security number on Twitter or something. You remember the stuff they did to you and you'll get back, you get them BACK! That's all i have to say about that!" (about bullying on Teen.com)
- "My life is an awkward visit from the kids table while waiting for a History Channel special".
- "Oh, I have this feud going with the L.A. Unified School District, because I keep getting these phone calls saying my daughter keeps missing classes, At all hours of the night! I had 2 calls this morning, and I keep calling saying I don't have a daughter! I'm 19! The 90's were a blur, but I don't think I was impregnating anyone when I was 2. I'm gonna find this girl and get her ass to school!
- On being slushied: "It's like being bitch slapped by an iceberg!"
- "I love me some llamas".
- "I was in high school when High School Musical came out, so I despise it. I don't think I hate anything more. Other than, like, murder".
- "Award shows were just my thing.... I have memories of my mom walking in on me in the bathroom, practicing my Oscar acceptance speech with my Wolverine action figure".
- "Screw that, kids".
- "I'm probably the male version of Rachel Berry".
- "You know how every kid has a movie? Usually it's The Little Mermaid, mine was Sister Act. I don't believe them, but my parents told me I used to put towels on my head and pretend I was a nun when I watched it".
- "I will be single forever".
- "Amber videotaped me on a treadmill and put it on Twitter...."
- "Would you believe I actually do not own a bedazzler...."
- On being at Dalton; "I actually felt how Kurt was feeling. I was missing my old friends & making new friends. Those Warblers are just so great, awesome, talented, & fun.... I'll miss them horribly, but I'm excited to be back....Oh like you didn't know" (at Paleyfest 2011)
- "Oh it's on, bitches!" (2010 Emmy Opening Skit w/ Jimmy Fallon)
- (On filming in New York) "It was scary. Sometimes it was like being a Beatle and other times it was like you were at a public execution because there’s this screaming and you don’t know if it’s good or it’s bad".
- "If you’re good looking I don’t call it stalking, I call it pursuing. Strongly pursuing".
- It's great when people come up and they're like, "Oh my god, I just love you, can I have a picture with you?" and I’ll be like, "Yeah, sure - you don’t believe in me and my rights, but you want a picture with me. Sure. Sure, I’ll take a picture with you".
- "It's ridiculous when people have such strong opinions about you when it's about things you can’t control".
- "Sometimes you just have to catch the right wave in the perfect storm".
- "And, Super Mario, I just have a personal message for you. I am just, you know, I am thinking, it is been 25 years and the princess still keeps managing to get herself caught by the koopas. I am just saying, she might be a little attention-seeking, that's all I am saying. So it might be time for you and her to start seeing other people. I mean I am just gonna throw it out there".
- Today I passed a man with a "The End is near" sign. With Oprah, Larry King, and the Harry Potter movies all ending, I think he's right".
- "Hi I'm Chris Colfer. Check me out on TeenTv.com. ...Check me out? Well, that's suggestive".
- "I’m very Irish, my family is all Irish and St. Patrick’s day in my house is crazy".
- "I believe I just went like Woof!'"
- "I would cast Dianna as Cinderella, because Dianna’s beautiful. It’s almost obnoxious how beautiful she is".
|2009||Russel Fish: The Sausage and Eggs Incident||Russel Fish||Short Film|
|2009–present||Glee||Kurt Hummel|| Main Cast|
Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor – Series, Miniseries or Television Film (2011)
Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series (2010)
Nominated - Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series (2010–2011)
Nominated - Monte-Carlo TV Festival Award for Outstanding Actor - Comedy Series (2012)
Nominated - Satellite Award for Best Supporting Actor – Series, Miniseries or Television Film (2009–2010)
Nominated - Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series (2011)
Nominated - Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series (2011)
Nominated - Lesbian/Bi People's Choice Awards "Favorite Music Duo or Group" (shared with Glee Cast) (2011)
Nominated - People's Choice Award for Favorite TV Comedy Actor (2012)
People's Choice Award for Favorite TV Comedy Actor (2013)
|2010||Marmaduke||Drama Dog #2|| Feature Film|
|2011||The Cleveland Show||Kurt Hummel|| Season 2, Episode 11, "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Roberta?"|
|2011||Glee: The 3D Concert Movie||Kurt Hummel|
|2011||The Little Leftover Witch||Writer, Producer|
|2011||Saturday Night Live||Himself (cameo)||Appeared in the What Up With That sketch, had no lines|
|2012||Struck by Lightning||Carson Phillips||Lead role, Writer, Producer|
- Chris is the youngest member of the main cast in Glee
- Auditioned for Glee with Mr. Cellophane.
- Ironically the character he portrays is one of the oldest kids in the Glee Club. Chris until Pot' O Gold was the youngest cast member in Glee, even younger than Lauren Potter, who portrays Becky. Jenna, Darren and Kevin all portray characters who are about a year younger are all older than him.
- He embarrassed himself in front of Lady Gaga by bowing, getting uncomfortably close to her, saying, "Nobody has talent but you; none of the new artists", and then not letting go of her hand for "a good fifteen minutes". He then ran out because of embarrassment.
- He was 17 when he auditioned for Glee.
- Before becoming an actor, Chris worked mornings before school in the cafeteria as a cookie scooper and summers as a clerk at a dry cleaners.
- He originally auditioned for the role of Artie, but Ryan Murphy was so impressed with his performance that he created the role of Kurt Hummel for him. Kurt after the character in The Sound of Music, who Chris portrayed in high school, and Hummel after the Hummel figurines, because he looks "like a porcelain doll."
- His sister suffers from epilepsy.
- The scar on the left side of his neck is from surgery in 1998.
- Lost over 40 pounds in 2007 thanks to "horrible methods called diet and exercise".
- He practices using Sai Swords.
- Assistant directed a theatrical benefit for Valley Children's Hospital when he was 14.
- Holds many speech and debate champion titles.
- During high school, he was involved with speech & debate, drama, the F.F.A., was president of the writers' club, editor of the school literary magazine, and captain of Destination Imagination.
- Since starting Glee, he grew about 4 inches (from 5'6" to around 5'10") in the span of one year.
- He can't tan. He only freckles and burns.
- He is a huge fan/in love with Kristin Chenoweth, and actually cried during her performance of Maybe This Time on Glee, but then ended up using it as a joke.
- He says that he was a "social llama" in high school, saying that he was "on the farm, and people point and gawk at him because he has funky hair."
- He is a Harry Potter fan, and a fan of Starkid's A Very Potter Musical, a musical Harry Potter parody which costar Darren Criss wrote songs for and starred in.
- He has an on going love affair with Diet Coke. He tweeted "I don't have a problem...." along with a picture of about 15 cans of diet coke at his home.
- When Chris was 14 years old, he owned sea monkeys. He forgot to feed these sea monkeys, but they remained alive for about 7 months, because they were "eating each other, and living off their waste."
- He once accidentally peed in one of the restrooms on the television show Monk's sound stage.
- Chris got revenge on a bully when they were partners for a class assignment, the goal of which was to find a location using a GPS device. One partner would punch in a coordinate, and then the other partner would have to walk to it. Chris hacked into the GPS and programmed it to a location where a mountain of cow manure lay. "I will never forget him climbing up the mountain of cow crap."
- Chris's hometown, Clovis, California, has a "sort of western theme" and are widely known for their rodeo. Chris was very anti-cowboy, but his parents would dress him up in a "ridiculous hat and boots and I would sit there and I would sweat and I would be miserable."
- When he was young, his parents wanted him to go "mutton busting" (sheep riding) but Chris refused. ("...and so help me God, if you make me get on that sheep, my teenage rebellion period will be so hard, it will make the French Revolution look like a picnic.")
- He loves Prada eyewear.
- He will stay in show business for a very long time.
- His favorite store is Target.
- Says he has started picking up some of Kurt's traits, like crossing his legs when he sits and standing with one hip out.
- He has problems with sleepwalking, even buying things online while asleep. He says he "does all sorts of fun things while he's unconscious." Occasionally screaming.
- He thinks that he looks like Pinocchio.
- He once played Chip in a high school production of Beauty and the Beast.
- He studies ninjutsu, the "art of nin...j-ja.... esque."
- To warm up his vocal chords Chris starts singing "Don't Cry For Me Argentina ' and then he sings "And I'm Telling You"
- Tore some leg tissue during the Glee Tour dancing in ten inch heels during the Bad Romance number and jumping on trampolines during the Jump number.
- Two of his favorite roles he played were Ralphie in a community theatre production of A Christmas Story and Mr. Lovett from 'Shirley Todd', a spoof of Sweeney Todd he wrote and directed himself.
- He loves Wicked (the first Broadway show he ever saw and is really obsessed with) and RENT.
- He started auditioning for mainstream roles during his freshman year of high school, but it wasn't until before his first semester of college in Fresno did he audition for Glee.
- Was a big fan of Ryan Murphy before auditioning for Glee.
- During a cast Q&A he said he'd probably be part of Ravenclaw house in Hogwarts.
- While filming the episode Laryngitis, where Kurt made out with Brittany, he was told that he was too good of a kisser and needed to tone it down for the episode.
- He says that his 1st TV crush was the Pink Power Ranger.
- He said on an interview with Jay Leno and Kristin Chenoweth, that she was one of his last girl crushes.
- Has had constant 'loving tackle wars' with co-star Lea Michele (Rachel Berry) saying that it started during the pilot and has been their secret inside joke ever since and nobody else from the cast knows what it means.
- Claims if he had a sing-off with Lea Michele, she would win hands down.
- He sustained a bit of neck injury while he was trying to do a backflip when they were filming Mattress.
- He wrote a screenplay for a possible new Disney TV show.
- Co-star Lea Michele calls herself and Chris "Elphaba and Glinda", like the characters from Wicked. Chris however, prefers to be called "Guylinda".
- Made a cameo on the May 14, 2011 episode of Saturday Night Live during one of their recurring "What Up With That" skits.
- Was in college for three weeks before joining the cast of Glee.
- He took 3 years studying French.
- Has an extremely diverse vocal range: his lowest known note is an A2 and his highest is an Bb5.
- He's at least 5'10".
- He was kissed by co-star Darren Criss at the last stop of the Glee European Tour in Dublin, Ireland.
- His first word was 'Oprah'.
- Knows the ASL alphabet.
- One of his three dogs is named Bob Marley, he is paranoid and falls asleep constantly. He also enjoys drinking wine.
- Is a very close friend with Ashley Fink as she calls him her 'Baby Daddy' and/or 'Her Man'.
- Both he and Kevin McHale got dressed in the girl's dressing room during the Glee Live performance because "the boys smelled!"
- Would love to do Wicked with Lea Michele, as long as he would be "Guylinda" and also Sweeney Todd with her. Lea even said that she and Chris would have to fight for the role of Mrs. Lovett as Chris did a gender-inverted role in High School.
- If the cast would design their own Born This Way T-shirt Chris' would say "High-Pitched" due to his voice getting really high when he's excited/nervous or just talking in general.
- When asked which person would each cast member would collaborate with, alive or dead, Chris said he would pick either Lady Gaga or Adele.
- Was the second member of the glee cast to reach a million followers on Twitter, the first being Lea Michele.
- While filming Mattress, he was accidentally kicked by Dianna Agron in the groin while she was rolling on a mattress.
- Didn't know who Marc Jacobs was until they shot the Pilot.
- He thinks of himself as 'a huge nerd'.
- He has admitted that he buys stuff online while he's sleeping. He has said that he has bought the entire series of the Carol Burnett show, a portrait of Marie Antoinette, and a life-size poster of Lady Gaga.
- Dianna Agron wrote his paragraph when he won the Time's 100 Influential people. He got an entire page to himself.
- He was home-schooled at the end of Middle School to escape bullying.
- His castmates consider him and Cory Monteith the funniest members of the cast. Cory is considered clownish and Chris considers himself as sarcastic and judgmental.
- Admires Helena Bonham Carter and screamed when he first met her.
- Has self-diagnosed dyslexia.
- Wears 'Rain' by Marc Jacobs as his cologne even though it's for women.
- Once on Halloween he dressed up as Los Angeles and won the first place at a competition.
- Controlled Danger turns him on.
- He said that I Have Nothing is the most difficult song he has ever sung in Glee yet.
- He said that drinking Tequila makes him think he was seventh in line of the British crown.
- The Glee Cast voted him as the Biggest Brainiac since he tends to spout random trivia like European Castle History.
- He had a "Disco Ninja Pirate" themed birthday party at a Roller Rink.
- At his 22nd birthday "Our Llama is 22" and "'HappyBirthdayChrisColfer" was trending topic on twitter.
- He and Alex Newell are the only countertenors in the cast.
- He wrote a book called "The Land of Stories:The wishing spell" and it comes out in America on July 17.
- He stated on Twitter that he was a fan of One Direction.
- He stated on Twitter that he is Team Carlisle (Twilight) along with Ashley.
- Along with two friends he stole things from the teachers' lounge in High School.
- Is related to the American Outlaw, Jesse James (He is his great great grandmother's cousin), so he's told.
- Chris, along with the young Glee cast stars reportedly make an average of 45 thousand dollars per episode. Source
- Personally believes his biggest pet peeve is name dropping.
- If he could have any superpower he would want Telekinesis.
- He doesn't think he can live without diet soda,air conditioning and colour.
- He would cast himself as Meryl streep.
- He invented a sport named "Ninja Darts". It involves throwing ninja stars (shuriken) at a dartboard.
- Thinks Chord is glee's class clown.
- Thinks Harry has the best body.
- Thinks Kevin is the best dressed.
- Thinks Vanessa is the kookiest.
- Thinks Damian is the sweetest.
- Thinks Mark is the most adventurous.
- Thinks Cory is the biggest nerd.
- Thinks Matthew is the biggest flirt.
- Thinks Amber has the best laugh, everytime she laughs he has to laugh.
- He's a very close friend of Darren, and both of them are a huge fan of the Harry Potter book series and Star Wars
- Chris and Darren consider themselves two big nerds
- Harry thinks that Chris has a really contagious laugh.
- He adopted a cat named Brian Colfer.
- He keeps Brian in his trailer while filming.
- He was called a "beautiful man" by Grant Gustin.