|Jonathan Drew Groff|
|Born:||March 26, 1985|
|Character:||Jesse St. James|
|Years Active:||2006 - present|
Jonathan Drew Groff (born March 26, 1985), is a 28-year-old actor who portrays Jesse St. James in the American television series Glee.
Jonathan was raised in Lancaster, PA as a Methodist. He first decided he wanted to work in show-business when he was 10 years old and saw a production of Annie Get Your Gun with his school. Before deciding he wanted to be an actor, Jonathan aspired to be a professional trumpet player.
Jonathan starred alongside Glee stars Lea Michele (Rachel) and Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina) in the Broadway musical Spring Awakening. He originated the Broadway role of Melchior Gabor and has been best friends with Lea Michele since the start of their Spring Awakening run together in 2006. He recently played Clifford Anderson in the West End (London) production of Deathtrap alongside Simon Russel Beale.
He first appeared on Glee in the episode Hell-O and appeared on the show for the rest of the season. He returned to Glee in the 20th episode of season two, and 42nd episode of the show overall, Prom Queen. It was said earlier it would be just 2 episodes Groff would return for, but instead he returned for the last three episodes of season two, Prom Queen, Funeral, and New York. Groff also returned later in season 3, as coach of the New Directions' biggest threat; Vocal Adrenaline.
He also appeared as a guest star on CBS's The Good Wife in the Season Three episode "Live from Damascus".
- Nominated for a Tony Award for Best Actor for Spring Awakening in 2007.
- Remains very good friends with his Spring Awakening costar, Lea Michele and says that she is his best friend.
- Groff, along with other openly gay actors (including Sean Hayes and Neil Patrick Harris), were the target of a highly controversial April 2010 Newsweek article by Ramin Setoodeh that argued gay actors are not convincing playing straight characters. The article created a huge media backlash with many public figures (including Groff and Hayes' co-star, Kristin Chenoweth) decrying it as homophobic and defending Hayes's, Harris's, and Groff's performances as straight characters.
- While Jonathan Groff was raised Methodist, his father was raised Mennonite.
- He recently starred in Deathtrap in London.
- He never went to college.
- Before realizing he wanted to be an actor, he wanted to be a professional trumpet player.
- He was ranked number 7 on After Elton's hotlist 2011.
- His favorite thing about LA is the traffic as it gives him opportunities to blast his music very loud and sing along with it on the way to work with the windows down.
- Jonathan moved to LA recently after falling in love with the place while doing Glee, but he still has a place in NY because he claims he can never leave NY.
- He has 5 inch scar on his biceps because his dance partner for Bohemian Rhapsody accidentally scarred him with her stilettos.
- Lea Michele stated that Lucky by Jason Mraz and Colbie Calliat is her and Jonathan Groff's theme song.
- He is currently starring in a production of The Submission at MCC Theatre.
- His star sign is Aries.
- Has been in a relationship with Zachary Quinto for quite a while, but Quinto "felt that they couldn't take their romance public - until now."