|Born:||October 4, 1988|
Melissa Marie Benoist, born October 4, 1988, is an American actress and singer. She portrayed Marley Rose on the fourth and fifth seasons of Glee. She makes her first appearance as Marley Rose in the first episode of Season Four, The New Rachel. Aside from her role on Glee, she has appeared in a number of television series like Homeland, The Good Wife, Law and Order, and movies: Tennessee, Whiplash, The Longest Ride, and Danny Collins. She currently portrays Kara Zor-El/Kara Danvers (Supergirl) on CBS' show Supergirl.
Melissa was born to Jim and Julie Benoist in Littleton, Colorado. She went to Arapahoe High School in Littleton. In high school, Melissa felt like an outsider and was made fun of. She did a lot of extracurricular theater shows. She says she was a wallflower and spent a lot of time by herself, like eating lunch, but she was okay with it. She graduated from Arapahoe in 2007. Instead of attending graduation parties, she performed the play "Evita" with other cast members at the shut-down Country Dinner Playhouse. She graduated from Marymount Manhattan College in 2011.
Melissa has been reportedly engaged to her Glee co-star Blake Jenner since July 2013. Their engagement was confirmed in December 2013. Benoist reportedly got married to Jenner in late March 2015.
CareerMelissa made her film debut in Tennessee. In May, she auditioned for Glee in New York at the Roundabout Theatre Company. She sang different songs for her five auditions: "Fidelity" by Regina Spektor, "King of Anything" by Sara Bareilles, a Colbie Caillat song, and some musical theater songs. In July, she got two screen tests in California for Ryan Murphy, the casting directors, and executive producers. Because the creators had been looking for Marley for a long time, she started working the day she found out she got the job.
She was chosen, along with fellow Glee cast members Jacob Artist, Dean Geyer, and Becca Tobin as an ambassador for Coca Cola's new product, P10 300 ml Coke Mismo. In June 2013, they were flown to Manila, Philippines to endorse the product by visiting different malls and meeting with fans.
She was recently cast in Imagine, an indie film. She will portray Jamie, a desk clerk at a hotel frequented by one of her favorite rock stars of all time.
Benoist was announced, in January 2015, to be tapped to portray Kara Zor-El/Kara Danvers (Supergirl) in the CBS's series, Supergirl.
|2000||The Sound of Music||Little Brigitta||Town Hall Arts Center production|
|2006||Bye Bye Birdie||Kim McAfee||Town Hall Arts Center production|
|2006||A Month in the Country||Vera||Town Hall Arts Center production|
|2006||A Chorus Line||Bebe||Town Hall Arts Center production|
|2007||Rodger and Hammerstein's Cinderella||Title Character||Town Hall Arts Center production|
|2007||Footloose||Ariel||Town Hall Arts Center production|
|2007||Evita||Peron's young mistress||Country Dinner Playhouse's final production|
|2009||Throughly Modern Millie||Millie Dilmount||Marymount Manhattan College production|
|2009||As You Like It||Rosalind||Marymount Manhattan College production|
|2011||The Unauthorized Biography of Samantha Brown||Kelly||Goodspeed Musical production|
|2008||Tennessee||Laurel - age 18||Film debut|
|2014||Danny Collins||Jamie||Indie film|
|2015||The Longest Ride||Marcia|
|2015||Band of Robbers||Becky Thatcher||Indie film|
|TBA||Patriots Day||Katherine Russell|
|2010||Law & Order: Criminal Intent||Jessalyn Kerr||episode: "Delicate"|
|Blue Blood||Renee||episode: "Privilege"|
|Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Ava||episode: "Wet"|
|The Good Wife||Molly||episode: "Nine Hours"|
|2011||Homeland||Stacy Morton||2 episodes|
|2012–2014||Glee||Marley Rose||Recurring (Season 4)|
Regular (Season 5)
|2013||Master Chef||Herself||Season 4: Episode 10|
|2015-||Supergirl||Kara Zor‑El||Season 1-|
- She was in a Tampax Radiant commercial.
- She was in a Clean and Clear commercial.
- She was in an Apple Facetime commercial.
- She appeared at the opening of the Kids' Choice Awards 2013 with Darren Criss.
Links and Social Networks
I believe in making my opportunities and that I am responsible for my own future. I am going to be really careful about it and take it one step at a time, and hopefully it will turn out for the best. But I love it so much I don't think I would give it up for anything else.
- She was a fan of Glee before she joined the cast.
- Like the character she portrays, she also comes from a single parent family.
- She went to Marymount Manhattan College and graduated in 2011. Jenna Ushkowitz also attended, but graduated in 2007.
- She likes Marley's wardrobe.
- She has two sisters named Jessica and Kristina.
- She likes singing classic jazz and would like to sing any Ella Fitzgerald, Rosemary Clooney, or Etta James. If she could sing a contemporary song, she would sing something by Mumford & Sons.
- She loves the song "At Last" by Etta James.
- Her passion lies in acting rather than singing and she is interested in doing movies.
- She hopes girls watching find strength in Marley's struggles.
- She loves female singer-songwriters.
- She is obsessed with Michael Fassbender.
- She saw Matthew Morrison on Broadway in New York. She loved his performance in "A Light in the Piazza."
- In 2006, she was one of Denver Post's five "Can't Miss Kids."
- As a teen, she performed anonymously at Disneyland for three summers with the Academy of Theatre Arts run by Paul Dwyer and Alann Worley in Littleton.
- She was in a relationship with Nicholas Vorderman, who is a photographer.
- She has three tattoos: a wolf on her left wrist, a feather and the word "free" on the back of her neck, and a bicycle on her left foot.
- Her dog Farley is something that always makes her feel better.
- She has always wanted to visit Rio de Janeiro and see the Amazon.
- One of her guilty pleasure songs is MMMBop by Hanson.
- She would choose Legolas over Gimli.
- Her first time overseas was to the Philippines as a Coca Cola ambassador.
- She and AnnaSophia Robb went to the same high school. They were both up for Choice Television Breakout Star at the 2013 Teen Choice Awards.
- The recording studio was her biggest obstacle when she first began the show. She had rarely used one before and found it challenging.
- She says she is terrible at athletics.
- Her best friends are Blake, Jacob and Becca (confirmed in an interview).
- She is the second Glee actor to play a DC superhero (Supergirl) in her own show, following Grant Gustin.
- She is the only alive former series regular not to appear in any form during the final season.
- She was the first glee actress to have an Oscar-winning film.
- She is one of four actors in Glee to also be in Supergirl. The others are Blake Jenner, Peter Facinelli and Grant Gustin.