|Naya Rivera Dorsey|
|Born:||January 12, 1987|
|Occupation:||Actress, Director, Model, Singer-Songwriter|
Naya Marie Rivera Dorsey, born January 12, 1987, is a 27-year-old American actress, singer, and model. She is known for her role as Santana Lopez on Glee.
Naya was born to George and Yolanda Rivera. She was raised in Valencia, Santa Clarita, California, attended Valencia High School, and has lived in or around Los Angeles for most of her life. Rivera has a brother, Mychal, and a sister, Nickayla. Mychal is football player, a tight end for the Oakland Raiders, and Nickayla is a model.
Rivera and Big Sean went public with their relationship at the premiere of 42 in April 2013. They became engaged in October 2013, after less than a year of dating. The engagment was announced to be called off after six months in April 2014, via a statement released by Big Sean.
She married Ryan Dorsey on 19 July 2014 and it was reported on 23 July 2014; they began to date after Rivera's relationship with Big Sean ended.
As a baby, Rivera appeared in commercials for Kmart, but her first significant acting job was at the age of four when she starred as Hillary Winston in the Eddie Murphy produced sitcom The Royal Family in 1991. When The Royal Family ended after one season Naya continued acting, having small roles in many TV shows as well as appearing in comercials.
In 2009, Rivera was cast as Cheerios cheerleading squad member Santana Lopez on Fox's musical comedy series Glee, about a high school glee club. Rivera's character comes off as a cold-hearted and vicious cheerleader. Rivera auditioned for the opportunity "to sing, dance and act all in the same show," and because she was a fan of co-creator Ryan Murphy's previous work on Nip/Tuck. Rivera drew on her own high school experience of unpopularity to prepare for the role, as well as watching films such as Mean Girls to "really get in the zone and feel like a bitchy Sophomore."
She received a great amount of critical praise for both her acting and her singing performances in the latter part of Season Two and the beginning of Season Three. As 2011 ended, both her character and herself were on many "Best Of" lists, including HitFix.com's 25 Breakout Stars of 2011, TV Guide's Best Performances of 2011, MTV's Best TV Characters of 2011, Yahoo!'s Television Without Pity 2011 TV's Most Valuable Performers, as well as others.
Rivera is also a model and has appeared on many magazine covers. She was on the Cover of 2011 November issue of FHM magazine in US, UK and Australia. She is also cover girl of the Latina Magazine May 2012 and September 2013 Issue and Glow Summer 2013 Cover. She is currently the Spokesperson of Proactiv Solution and the popular beer, Bud Light. Rivera is currently working on an immigrant project with Guillermo Diaz, which will be a short film PSA about the affect of immigration on children and their parents. While Diaz's part is about telling the stories of young dreamers and the fear they have of their mothers being deported, Rivera's PSA is about the problems immigrants deal with or face in the US.
Rivera was announced in June 2011 to have signed with Columbia Records. Her first single "Sorry," featuring Big Sean, was released on August 9 and was released digitally on September 17, 2013. She is going to record a Spanish version on "Sorry" featuring Pitbull, which was revealed in October 2013. Rivera’s album is slated for a 2014 release date.
|2002||The Master of Disguise||Captain America Kid||Deleted Scene|
|2009||Frankenhood||Hottie||Credited as Naya Maria Rivera (Maria was a typo)|
|Glee: The 3D Concert Movie||Santana Lopez||
3D Concert Film
|2013||The Naughty List||Sparkle||Animated Christmas Movie|
|2014||At the Devil's Door||Vera Moreno||Film debut|
|1991||The Royal Family||Hillary Winston||1991 - 1992; Regular role|
|1992||Family Matters||Gwendolyn||1992 - 1993; Episodes: "Just One Date," "Heart Strings," "Mama's Wedding"|
|1993||The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air||Cindy||Episode: "Bundle of Joy"|
|1993||The Sinbad Show||Party Guest||Episode: "It's My Party, I'll Cry If I Want To"|
|1995||Live Shot||Ann||Episode: "Another Day, Another Story"|
|1997||Smart Guy|| Kelly|
|1997 & 1999; Episodes: "Baby, It's You and You and You" and "Never Too Young"|
|1999||The Jersey||Girl #2||Episode: "Be True to You"|
|Even Stevens||Charlene||Episode: "Short Story"|
|Pajama Rama||Herself||2002 - 2004; Host|
|The Bernie Mac Show||Donna||2002 - 2006; Recurring role|
|2003||Soul Food||Lauryn||Episodes: "Truth's Consequences" and "Nobody's Child"|
|2004||8 Simple Rules||Nice Girl||Episode: "Halloween"|
|2008||Girlfriends||Young Lady||Episode: "Stand and Deliver"|
|CSI: Miami||Rachel Calvado||Episode: "Power Trip"|
|2009||Glee||Santana Lopez||2009 - ;
Season 1: Recurring cast member
|2010||When I Was 17||Herself||Guest Star (Episode 28 with Carmelo Anthony and Taye Diggs)|
|2012||The Glee Project||Herself||Guest Star (Season 2, Episode 4 "Sexuality")|
|This Is How I Made It||Herself||Episode 3|
|2013||Fashion Police||Herself||Guest Star|
|Styled to Rock||Herself||Guest Star|
|2014||The Real Housewives of Atlanta||Herself||Season 6, Episode 26: "Secrets Revealed"|
|The View||Herself||Guest Host; November 11th and November 18th|
Awards and nominations
|1992||Young Artist Awards||Exceptional Performance by a Young Actress Under Ten||Nominated|
|2010||Screen Actors Guild Awards||Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series||Won|
|TV Land Awards||Future Classics (with: Glee Cast)||Won|
|Imagen Awards||Best Supporting Actress—Television||Nominated|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Music: Group||Nominated|
|Lesbian/Bi People's Choice Awards||Favorite Music Duo or Group (with: Glee Cast)||Nominated|
|Gay People's Choice Awards||Favorite Music Duo or Group (with: Glee Cast)||Won|
|2011||Screen Actors Guild Awards||Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series||Nominated|
|53rd Annual Grammy Awards||Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals||Nominated|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Music: Group (with: Glee Cast)||Nominated|
|ALMA Awards||Favorite TV Actress—Leading Role in a Comedy||Nominated|
|ALMA Awards||Favorite Female Music Artist||Won|
|2012||Screen Actors Guild Awards||Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series||Nominated|
|My TV Awards||Ridiculously Good-Looking Female||Won|
|My TV Awards||Supporting Actress in a Comedy||Won|
|NewNowNext Awards||Cause You're Hot||Won|
|ALMA Awards||Favorite TV Actress—Leading Role in a Comedy||Won|
|ALMA Awards||Favorite Female Music Artist||Won|
|2012||Screen Actors Guild Awards||Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series||Nominated|
|Giffoni Film Festival||Giffoni Award||Won|
|Taste Awards||Great Taste Prize: Hollywood Tastemaker||Won|
|2014||People's Choice Awards||Favorite TV Gal Pals||Won|
|Teen Choice Awards||Female Scene Stealer||Pending|
Links and Social Networks
I loved what the fans having lovingly dubbed “The Hurt Locker” – when Santana confessed her love for Brittany. It was the first time, as an actor, I saw the fruits of my labor. I was so prepared for that scene and in my heart, I was happy with the work I did. And to be so proud of something you did is the best feeling, no matter the profession.
—Naya, on her favorite moment of Season 2.
My heart is a Slushee full of love and I want to toss it all over you.
Getting hit on by both genders is such a champagne problem.
My voice is kind of like Aaliyah-esque, with a little bit more range. Normally, I sing pop, R&B-type stuff.
We need a Starbucks on Campus. Love and always forever.
—Naya's senior year quote
My passion for music is one of my greatest loves. I don’t think I would be able to live without music in my life. I listen to absolutely everything and sing all the time. I love to write because it’s such a release. It’s very therapeutic when I sing and it makes me feel like I’m escaping for a while. I started singing when I was three. My favorite things to perform for my family was Paula Abdul and Michael Jackson’s leave me alone. I had a little kid piano that my dad would play notes on while I made up lyrics and sang along. I love how different songs can make you feel different things and take you to different memories in your life.
It takes a lot to just accept yourself as you are and truly be happy with you. My advice to anyone who is struggling with this would be to give it time to try to notice all the great qualities you possess. There are always going to be things you don’t like about yourself or reasons to compare yourself to others, but once you realize that you only get one you, it’s best to just love yourself.
I want to play Lena Horne because I've always been fascinated with her. Her talent was astounding and more than that, her life story is incredible.
—Naya on her dream role, Latina magazine
The secret to happiness is identifying what you're passionate about and being able to do it well everyday. Also surround yourself with great group of people you love. Laugh, Live and look forward to the future.
—Naya on happiness, Choosing Glee
We've all been hurt by words before, so before you speak, think about how your words might affect someone else.
Never give up and always know that the definition of success is when preparation meets opportunity.
When no one is looking I… Have a little conversation or pep talk with myself.
I think that everyone should have the right to be with whoever they love. I mean, love is so rare and – God, first of all, marriage is so hard. I think that people should be able to be with whoever they love. Life is too short. I just don’t think it’s anyone else’s business.
[There are] always going to be people saying that you can’t do it. Even when you think it’s done, if you are truly meant to be doing what you’re doing and you believe enough in your talent, giving it another shot can’t hurt, why not?.
I wasn’t allowed to hang out with the black kids [in high school] because they thought I wasn’t black enough, which was a problem.
You learn something from everyone that you date. You learn what you want and don’t want.
—Naya on dating lessons, Latina magazine 
I like cooking everything. I get on food blogs and save recipes and go back and make them. I make fried chicken, I’m in charge of the macaroni and cheese on holidays. I can make lasagnas and pastas - I’m a good cook!
—Naya on her playlist, Latina magazine 
When you really love something, you make time for it.
- Her vital statistic is 34-22-32.
- Her nicknames are Bee, NayNay, Nay Nay Rivers, Na Nay, Little Bee, The Veiled Fairy and Snix.
- If she were not an actress, she would be a writer.
- She doesn't like to throw things out.
- She had a crush on Robin Thicke.
- She likes sushi and Mexican food.
- She hates papercuts, and she always thinks of getting one on her eye when she thinks of them.
- She likes to wear her make-up natural.
- She has been best friends with Heather Morris for years, who plays her love interest on the show.
- She does planks and side planks to keep her stomach toned.
- There were rumors that she trashed Mark Salling's car (as he had been talking to other girls when they had a "thing"), but these rumors are not confirmed and Mark denied them on Twitter.
- Rivera loves to read and is a fan of Nip/Tuck.
- When she's tired, she doesn't talk, but mumbles.
- Her first concert was No Doubt.
- She's a very good impersonator.
- When she is bored she will drive somewhere, but always take the longest route.
- On Valentine's Day, she and her friends would sit in the car, listen to Dashboard Confessional and cry.
- She is left-handed.
- She has tried to pay a taxi cab ride only in pennies.
- She has six tattoos ("love" in Hebrew on her right wrist, a peace sign on her left ankle, a cross on her lower back, a shooting star on her right foot, and a ribbon on her nape and an unknown one mentioned in FHM).
- She is a fan of the Hunger Games Trilogy and she wanted to play Johanna in the second installment of the Hunger Games films.
- She watches Pretty Little Liars and plays Pretty Little Liars fantasy games with friends where she is Emily.
- She invented a dance that can be seen on YouTube called "The Naya Dance."
- She is not fluent in Spanish, stated in a livestream, but she was apparently drunk and/or joking since Amber said, "No you don't, you're a liar." (She really was drunk during the livestream though).
- She has had women propose to her due to her lesbian storyline.
- She's is a high contralto - low mezzo-soprano, and has a 2.6 octave range. Her vocal range is C3-Bb5 as seen on a youtube video.
- For the July 2 show on the Glee tour in Ireland, Naya wore "Lebanese for Irish Girls" that was given to her by a fan, instead of "Lebanese."
- She was seen smoking on a break from filming in New York. This is the only time she's been caught.
- She is a huge Amy Winehouse fan and Valerie is her second favorite song ever.
- She auditioned for Glee with the song Emotion from the Bee Gees.
- She starred in the music video "Why I Love You" by B2K.
- She played a prank on the cast by using her extra phone to send mystery texts to the cast and signing them with xoxo -A, like in Pretty Little Liars.
- She was voted by the cast to be the most likely to join the cast of Jersey Shore.
- She worked at Hooters.
- Her all-time favorite song is 'A Song For You' by Donny Hathaway.
- Her favorite childhood show was Boy Meets World or Doug.
- Her favorite accessory is a nice watch.
- In May 2011, it was announced that Rivera had signed a deal with Columbia Records to produce a solo album.
- Naya Rivera hosted the San Francisco GLAAD Media Awards in 2011 and the 2012 GLAAD Media Awards, along with co-star, Cory Monteith.
- She took up songwriting at the age of 15.
- When she was 17, she was a fan of Paris Hilton and watched "The Simple Life." She also bought the same dog as Paris.
- She has been to Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch twice as a child. Source
- Her nickname for Kevin McHale is Little Bee. 
- Her favorite color is pink.
- Her favorite band is Coldplay.
- She prefers red wine to white wine.
- She prefers pancakes over waffles, though she still love waffles especially with chicken.
- Worked at Abercrombie as a greeter and was very flattered, knowing they only hire people based on looks.
- Had a Maltese named Callie, but then gave it to her mom when she pooped in her car.
- She took computer class in high school but hated it.
- Was not popular in high school and was bullied.
- She named her SAG award Alejandro.
- Won the Cause You're Hot award at the 2012 NewNowNext Awards.
- She has a girl crush on Coco. Source
- She was filmed pole dancing when she was 20 years old.
- BuddyTV ranked her #3 on its "TV's 100 Sexiest Women of 2011" list.
- She was number 39 in FHM's 100 Sexiest Women In The World 2012. Source
- In 2010, Rivera made the Maxim Hot 100 list, coming in at number 61. The following year, she was ranked number 43. She was ranked number 27 2012 and number 44 in 2013 in Maxim's Hot 100. Source
- She finds beatboxing sexy.
- She also made the Afterellen Hot 100 list in 2010, 2011, and 2012, premiering at 62 in 2010, jumping to 1 in 2011 and still at number 1 once again in 2012.
- Naya was number 24 on Complex's 100 Hottest Women Right Now list in 2013.Source
- Her favorite animal is the penguin.
- She worked as a nanny while filming Season One of Glee, and stopped when episode 3 aired. Source
- She has a Cavalier King Charles puppy named Lucy Ann Rivera.
- Joined her high school choir but then left after two weeks because she thought it wasn't cool and didn't want to be yelled at.
- Elton John signed her to his management company on 9/9/12. Source
- Alongside Amber Riley, Naya auditioned for American Idol but didn't make the cut.
- Naya, alongside Glee co-stars Amber Riley and Darren Criss, performed at the 2013 Obama's Inauguration kids concert in Washington DC.
- Her favorite book is The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
- Her prom date told her she was too thin and didn't end up dancing with her at all. When the dance was over he wanted her to go to the hotel with her so they could have sex but she refused so her father picked her up.
- If she could be any Power Ranger she would be the pink one.
- The most random gift she has every recieved was a glass pig from her brother that he named Penelope.
- Her name comes from the 1970s televison show Fantasy Island after her mother watched an episode where this watergodess emerged from the water and said "I am Naya".
- She was not allowed to celebrate Halloween as a child except for one time, which her mom dressed her up as Snow White. Source
- One of her best friends is Kat Graham from The Vampire Diaries.
- She and Erinn Westbrook share the same birthday.
- She got married in secret to Ryan Dorsey.
- ↑ Mychal Rivera Profile - UTSPORTS.COM
- ↑ New Couple Alert! Big Sean and Naya Rivera Make It Official at 42 Movie Premiere
- ↑ Naya Rivera and Big Sean Are Engaged—Check Out Her Ring!
- ↑ Naya Rivera and Big Sean Call Off Engagement
- ↑ Surprise! Naya Rivera Marries Ryan Dorsey
- ↑ 
- ↑ 'Glee's' Naya Rivera To Release Solo Album
- ↑ Listen: Naya Rivera f/ Big Sean "Sorry"
- ↑ Naya Rivera Dishes On Recording 'Sorry' Single With Big Sean
- ↑ Naya Rivera to record Spanish version of Sorry
- ↑ 'Glee' stars talk season three, the tour & graduation!
- ↑ Naya Rivera wows as the host of the GLAAD Media Awards in San Francisco
- ↑ 
- ↑ All About Naya Rivera
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 18.2 18.3 18.4 18.5 18.6 18.7 18.8 GLEE - 10 Things You Didn't Know About Naya Rivera
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 When I Was 17 Season 2 Episode 5
- ↑ April 20, 2011 Tweet 1
- ↑ April 20, 2011 Tweet 2
- ↑ 'Glee' Stars Before They Were Famous... They Did What?
- ↑ Naya Rivera Interview
- ↑ Response to Twitter question
- ↑ Naya Rivera on Jimmy Kimmel Live PART 1 0:57 - 1:24 mintues in. July 2013.