|Born:||January 12th, 1987|
|Occupation:||Actress, model, singer, songwriter|
Naya Marie Rivera (born January 12, 1987) is a 26-year-old American actress, singer and model best known for her current role of Santana Lopez on FOX's hit TV Show, Glee. She was born in Santa Clarita, California.
Personal Life and CareerNaya, who has lived in the Los Angeles area was born and raised in Valencia, California, modeled and acted throughout her childhood. As a baby, Rivera appeared in commercials for Kmart, but her first significant acting job was at the age of four when she starred as Hillary Winston in the Eddie Murphy produced sitcom The Royal Family in 1991. Between 1992 and 2002, she had small roles in The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Family Matters, Live Shot, Baywatch, Smart Guy, House Blend, Even Stevens and The Master of Disguise. In 2002 she also appeared in the music video for B2K's "Why I Love You". She was hired for a single-episode guest appearance on The Bernie Mac Show in 2002, but was brought back to work on a further five episodes. She was later featured in single episodes of 8 Simple Rules and CSI: Miami.
In 2009, Rivera was cast as Cheerios cheerleading squad member Santana Lopez on Fox's musical comedy series Glee, about a high school glee club. Rivera's character comes off as a cold-hearted and vicious cheerleader, who often shows her softer side to fellow cheerleader Brittany (played by Heather Morris). Rivera auditioned for the opportunity "to sing, dance and act all in the same show," and because she was a fan of co-creator Ryan Murphy's previous work on Nip/Tuck. Rivera drew on her own high school experience of unpopularity to prepare for the role, as well as watching films such as Mean Girls to "really get in the zone and feel like a bitchy Sophomore". She has described Santana as "your typical high school cheerleader, for the most part," explaining: "She's really mean and loves boys. She's really witty so I love playing her." She has characterized Santana as "a bit of a bad girl" who is "really snarky and always has these really witty one-liners she throws out there." Rivera enjoys the fact Santana is competitive and headstrong as she herself shares those traits, but dislikes Santana's mean streak. She finds the show's pacing challenging, especially the dancing, and commented in June 2009 that her most memorable moment on Glee was performing the Cheerios' glee club audition piece, "I Say a Little Prayer". Santana played a more prominent part in the last nine episodes of Glee's first season. Rivera commented: "Santana's been wreaking havoc with people's boyfriends and people's babies and teachers—she's the high school terror, and she's going to continue to be the villain".
Naya Rivera hosted the 22nd GLAAD Media Awards in San Francisco.In July 2011, Rivera was nominated for two awards, in the categories of "Favorite Female Music Artist" and "Favorite TV Actress - Leading Role in a Comedy". BuddyTV ranked her #3 on its "TV's 100 Sexiest Women of 2011" list. She received a great amount of critical praise for both her acting and her singing performances in the latter part of Season Two and the beginning of Season Three. As 2011 ended, she or her character were on many "Best Of" lists, including HitFix.com's 25 Breakout Stars of 2011, TV Guide's Best Performances of 2011, MTV's Best TV Characters of 2011, Yahoo!'s Television Without Pity 2011 TV's Most Valuable Performers, as well as others.
Naya was on the Cover of 2011 November issue of FHM magazine in US, UK and Australia. She is also cover girl of the Latina Magazine May 2012 Issue and Glow Summer 2013 Cover Girl. In addition Naya posed nude for Allure April 2013 Issue.
She is now the Spokesperson of Proactiv Solution.
Naya is currently dating Big Sean.
|2002||The Master of Disguise||Captain America Kid||Deleted Scene|
|2009||Frankenhood||Hottie||Credited as Naya Maria Rivera (Maria was a typo)|
|Glee: The 3D Concert Movie||Santana Lopez||
3D Concert Film
|1991–1992||The Royal Family||Hillary Winston||Regular role|
|1992–1993||Family Matters||Gwendolyn||Episodes: "Just One Date", "Heart Strings", "Mama's Wedding"|
|1993||The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air||Cindy||Episode: "Bundle of Joy"|
|1993||The Sinbad Show||Party Guest||Episode: "It's My Party, I'll Cry If I Want To"|
|1995||Live Shot||Ann||Episode: "Another Day, Another Story"|
|1997–1999||Smart Guy|| Kelly|
|Episodes: "Baby, It's You and You and You", "Never Too Young"|
|1999||The Jersey||Girl #2||Episode: "Be True to You"|
|2002||Even Stevens||Charlene||Episode: "Short Story"|
|2002–2006||The Bernie Mac Show||Donna||Recurring role|
|2003||Soul Food||Lauryn||Episodes: "Truth's Consequences", "Nobody's Child"|
|2004||8 Simple Rules||Nice Girl||Episode: "Halloween"|
|2008||Girlfriends||Young Lady||Episode: "Stand and Deliver"|
|2008||CSI: Miami||Rachel Calvado||Episode: "Power Trip"|
|2009–present||Glee||Santana Lopez|| Season 1: recurring cast member|
Seasons 2 - 4: regular cast member
|2012||The Glee Project||Herself||Guest Star (Season 2, Episode 4 "Sexuality")|
|2012||This Is How I Made It||Herself||Episode 3|
Awards and nominations
|1992||Young Artist Awards||Exceptional Performance by a Young Actress Under Ten||Nominated|
|2010||Screen Actors Guild Awards||Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series||Won|
|2010||Imagen Awards||Best Supporting Actress—Television||Nominated|
|2010||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Music: Group||Nominated|
|2011||Screen Actors Guild Awards||Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series||Nominated|
|2011||53rd Annual Grammy Awards||Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals||Nominated|
|2011||ALMA Awards||Favorite TV Actress—Leading Role in a Comedy||Nominated|
|2011||ALMA Awards||Favorite Female Music Artist||Won|
|2012||Screen Actors Guild Awards||Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series||Nominated|
|2012||My TV Awards||Ridiculously Good-Looking Female||Won|
|2012||My TV Awards||Supporting Actress in a Comedy||Won|
|2012||NewNowNext Awards||Cause You're Hot||Won|
|2012||ALMA Awards||Favorite TV Actress—Leading Role in a Comedy||Won|
|2012||ALMA Awards||Favorite Female Music Artist||Won|
I loved what the fans having lovingly dubbed “The Hurt Locker” – when Santana confessed her love for Brittany. It was the first time, as an actor, I saw the fruits of my labor. I was so prepared for that scene and in my heart, I was happy with the work I did. And to be so proud of something you did is the best feeling, no matter the profession.
—Naya, on her favorite moment of Season 2.
My heart is a Slushee full of love and I want to toss it all over you.
Getting hit on by both genders is such a champagne problem.
My voice is kind of like Aaliyah-esque, with a little bit more range. Normally, I sing pop, R&B-type stuff.
We need a Starbucks on Campus. Love and always forever.
—Naya's senior year quote
My passion for music is one of my greatest loves. I don’t think I would be able to live without music in my life. I listen to absolutely everything and sing all the time. I love to write because it’s such a release. It’s very therapeutic when I sing and it makes me feel like I’m escaping for a while. I started singing when I was three. My favorite things to perform for my family was Paula Abdul and Michael Jackson’s leave me alone. I had a little kid piano that my dad would play notes on while I made up lyrics and sang along. I love how different songs can make you feel different things and take you to different memories in your life.
It takes a lot to just accept yourself as you are and truly be happy with you. My advice to anyone who is struggling with this would be to give it time to try to notice all the great qualities you possess. There are always going to be things you don’t like about yourself or reasons to compare yourself to others, but once you realize that you only get one you, it’s best to just love yourself.
I want to play Lena Horne because I've always been fascinated with her. Her talent was astounding and more than that, her life story is incredible.
—Naya on her dream role, Latina magazine
The secret to happiness is identifying what your passionate about and being able to do it well everyday. Also surround yourself with great group of people you love. Laugh, Live and look forward to the future.
—Naya on happiness, Choosing Glee
We've all been hurt by words before, so before you speak, think about how your words might affect someone else.
I’m a perfectionist…I was just always really hard on myself.
When no one is looking I… Have a little conversation or pep talk with myself.
I think that everyone should have the right to be with whoever they love. I mean, love is so rare and – God, first of all, marriage is so hard. I think that people should be able to be with whoever they love. Life is too short. I just don’t think it’s anyone else’s business.
- Her vital statistic is 34-22-32.
- Her nicknames are Bee, NayNay, Nay Nay Rivers, Na Nay, Little Bee, The Veiled Fairy and Snix.
- If she were not an actress, she would be a writer.
- She doesn't like to throw things out.
- Had a crush on Robin Thicke.
- She likes sushi and Mexican food.
- She hates papercuts, and she always thinks of getting one on her eye when she thinks of them.
- She likes to wear her make-up natural.
- In the early years of Glee she was bestfriends with her former on screen love interest, actress Heather Morris.
- She does planks and side planks to keep her stomach toned.
- She wears MAC and Rimmel make-up.
- She is close friends with her Glee co-star Heather Morris.
- There were rumors that she trashed Mark Salling's car (as he had been talking to other girls when they had a "thing"), but these rumors are not confirmed and Mark denied them on Twitter.
- Naya is half Puerto-Rican, 1/4 African-American and 1/4 German.
- Rivera loves to read and is a fan of Nip/Tuck.
- When she's tired, she doesn't talk, but mumbles.
- Her first concert was No Doubt.
- She's a very good impersonator.
- When she is bored she will drive somewhere, but always take the longest route.
- On Valentine's Day, she and her friends would sit in the car, listen to Dashboard Confessional and cry.
- She is left-handed.
- She has tried to pay a taxi cab ride only in pennies.
- She has six tattoos ("love" in Hebrew on her right wrist, a peace sign on her left ankle, a cross on her lower back, a shooting star on her right foot, and a ribbon on her nape and an unknown one mentioned in FHM).
- She is a fan of the Hunger Games Trilogy and she would like to play Johanna in the second installment of the Hunger Games films.
- She watches Pretty Little Liars and plays Pretty Little Liars fantasy games with friends where she is Emily.
- She invented a dance that can be seen on YouTube called "The Naya Dance."
- She is not fluent in Spanish, stated in a livestream, but she was apparently drunk and/or joking since Amber said, "No you don't, you're a liar." (She really was drunk during the livestream though).
- Has had women propose to her due to her lesbian storyline.
- She's is a high contralto - low mezzo-soprano, and has a 2.6 octave range. Her vocal range is C3-Bb5 as seen on a youtube video.
- For the July 2 show on the Glee tour in Ireland, Naya wore "Lebanese for Irish Girls" that was given to her by a fan, instead of "Lebanese".
- On July 3, Naya quickly kissed co-star Heather Morris on the lips on their last stop of the Glee European tour in Dublin, Ireland.
- Was seen smoking on a break from filming in New York. This is the only time she's been caught.
- Is a huge Amy Winehouse fan and Valerie is her second favorite song ever.
- Auditioned for Glee with the song Emotion from the Bee Gees.
- Starred in the music video "Why I Love You" by B2K.
- Played a prank on the cast by using her extra phone to send mystery texts to the cast and signing them with xoxo -A, like in Pretty Little Liars.
- Was voted by the cast to be the most likely to join the cast of Jersey Shore.
- She worked at Hooters.
- Her all-time favorite song is 'A Song For You' by Donny Hathaway.
- Her favorite childhood show was Boy Meets World or Doug.
- Her favorite accessory is a nice watch.
- In May 2011, it was announced that Rivera had signed a deal with Columbia Records to produce a solo album.
- Naya Rivera hosted the San Francisco GLAAD Media Awards in 2011 and the 2012 GLAAD Media Awards, along with co-star, Cory Monteith.
- She took up songwriting at the age of 15.
- When she was 17, she was a fan of Paris Hilton and watched "The Simple Life". She also bought the same dog as Paris.
- Is named after a mermaid on the 1970s TV show Fantasy Island.
- Has been to Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch twice as a child. Source
- Her nickname for Kevin McHale is Little Bee. 
- Her favorite color is pink.
- Her favorite band is Coldplay.
- She prefers red wine to white wine.
- She prefers pancakes over waffles.
- Worked at Abercrombie as a greeter and was very flattered, knowing they only hire people based on looks.
- Had a Maltese named Callie, but then gave it to her mom when she pooped in her car.
- She took computer class in high school but hated it.
- Was not popular in high school.
- Named her SAG award Alejandro.
- Won the Cause You're Hot award at the 2012 NewNowNext Awards.
- Her parents have been divorced about 8 years.
- She has a girl crush on Coco. Source
- A video of her taking part in a pole dancing competition was leaked by Perez Hilton.
- Is number 39 in FHM's 100 Sexiest Women In The World 2012. Source
- In 2010, Rivera made the Maxim Hot 100 list, coming in at number 61. The following year, she was ranked number 43. She was ranked number 27 2012 and number 44 in 2013 in Maxim's Hot 100. Source
- Finds beatboxing sexy.
- She also made the Afterellen Hot 100 list in 2010, 2011, and 2012, premiering at 62 in 2010, jumping to 1 in 2011 and still at number 1 once again in 2012.
- Naya was number 24 on Complex's 100 Hottest Women Right Now list in 2013.Source
- Favorite animal is the penguin.
- Loves to wear glasses when she is going out.
- Has a Cavalier King Charles puppy named Lucy Ann Rivera.
- Joined her high school choir but then left after two weeks because she thought it wasn't cool and didn't want to be yelled at.
- Elton John signed her to his management company on 9/9/12. Source
- Alongside Amber Riley, Naya auditioned for American Idol but didn't make the cut.
- ↑ 'Glee' stars talk season three, the tour & graduation!
- ↑ Naya Rivera wows as the host of the GLAAD Media Awards in San Francisco
- ↑ 
- ↑ All About Naya Rivera
- ↑ 
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 6.7 6.8 GLEE - 10 Things You Didn't Know About Naya Rivera
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 When I Was 17 Season 2 Episode 5
- ↑ April 20, 2011 Tweet 1
- ↑ April 20, 2011 Tweet 2
- ↑ 'Glee' Stars Before They Were Famous... They Did What?
- ↑ Naya Rivera Interview
- ↑ Response to Twitter question