The Unholy Trinity
|Intimacy Level:||Close Friends|
- Main article: Brittany-Quinn Relationship
- Main article: Brittany-Santana Relationship
- Main article: Quinn-Santana Relationship
Their friendship has a tendency of being quite temperamental, but has stuck through for most of Season One and parts of Season Two through the Cheerios. In Season Three, the girls remained close friends. In the Season Three episode, Nationals, Santana says that they "started together, ended together" and Brittany and Quinn agree. Santana, Brittany and Quinn also reunite and sing together in the episodes Thanksgiving, 100 and Homecoming. When Rachel tries to revive the glee club, Brittany, Quinn and Santana are called to help recruit new members.
OverviewQuinn and Santana are introduced in Pilot (Brittany doesn't appear until Showmance). Quinn portrays the leader and vocal character of the trio. Although Brittany and Santana are initially introduced as supporting characters, each eventually takes on their own distinctive personalities. The girls join New Directions in Showmance, on Quinn's insistence to keep a close eye on Finn and all three perform I Say a Little Prayer to audition. The trio falls apart when Quinn is kicked off the Cheerios, and Santana sees this as her chance to become the most popular girl in school. This began an ongoing rivalry between Quinn and Santana that continued through Season Two. Meanwhile, Brittany and Santana continued a "friends with benefits" relationship and later developed feelings for each other. The trio eventually rekindled their friendship in the finale of Season Two, New York, when Santana and Brittany console a heart-broken Quinn, and accompany her to get a haircut.
The trio falls apart again when Quinn changes her attitude and look and quits New Directions in The Purple Piano Project. Quinn later comes back to her normal self in I Am Unicorn. Although the trio doesn't have big storylines, they can be seen together in minor scenes. Backstage, before performing at Nationals in Chicago, they reaffirm their friendship when Santana says: "The Unholy Trinity, start together, end together" in the episode Nationals. After Goodbye, they separated, Quinn going to the Yale University located in New Haven, Connecticut; Santana to Louisville, Kentucky and later moving to New York; and Brittany staying in Ohio. Brittany and Santana tried to stay together, but it didn´t work out and they stayed best friends. Both are still close friends to Quinn, And they all reunite in Thanksgiving and sing Come See About Me. Then In I Do, Santana and Quinn have sex at Will and Emma's wedding.
Quinn, Santana, and the other Cheerios laugh at a video that Rachel had posted on MySpace. Later in the episode, Quinn and Santana are walking together in the school hallways, and then Quinn stops to talk to Finn to ask him why he's talking with Rachel. At the end of the episode, Santana, Quinn, and Sue watch the Glee Club perform Don't Stop Believin' (Brittany was not in the Pilot episode).
The three girls sit next to each other during the meeting of The Celibacy Club. They sit together around Sue shocked, when the New Directions perform Push It. Later, Quinn, Santana, and Brittany audition for the Glee Club, because Quinn is worried about losing Finn. They perform I Say a Little Prayer, Quinn singing the lead vocals and Santana and Brittany as backup vocals. After that, they are seen together in Sue's office and Sue asks them to spy on the Glee Club for her.
They are shown trying to bring New Directions down, by encouraging Mercedes to go out with Kurt, despite knowing about his sexual orientation. Additionally, they convince the other members of the Glee Club to hire a professional dance coach, Dakota Stanley, who even made the members of Vocal Adrenaline cry. Brittany, Santana and Quinn stand or sit next to each other in several scenes. All three of them are seen washing cars together at the Glee choreographer car wash fundraiser, while Quinn and Santana are seen splashing each other and laughing. When Dakota Stanley criticizes the Glee Club, they are the only ones he doesn't have a problem with and tells them they're perfect and to stay just the way they are.
They stand next to each other in Glee Club and later cheer for the football team, along with the rest of the Cheerios.
They are close to each other in some scenes in the Choir Room. The three girls report details on New Directions to Sue. They dance together in Halo/Walking on Sunshine. Santana and Brittany weren't together for one scene since Brittany had a fill in.
They are the only ones at the Cheerios practice because the other girls are academically ineligible after flunking Will's Spanish class. Quinn performs You Keep Me Hangin' On along with Santana, Brittany and other Cheerios.
They are seen dancing together while Will is singing Bust a Move.
Quinn sits with Santana and Brittany in the library. While Santana and Brittany deface a yearbook, Quinn looks left out and says that she misses being a Cheerio and talks about wanting to be in the Cheerios squad's yearbook picture.
Brittany and Santana are seen laughing and fooling around together, while roller skating at the roller rink.
Mercedes mentions that Quinn has a "beef" with Santana and Brittany while talking to Will. Quinn puts Santana and Brittany as second and fourth respectively, on the Glist.
The trio practice their vocals together while leaning on the piano, looking rather bored. They are all on Rachel's list of Glee Club members who "are not pulling their weight."
During the opening, they are together by the lockers while Jacob interviews them. They are dancing together while the Glee Club is performing Empire State of Mind. Later, Sue calls Santana to her office and tells her that "a little bird" said that Santana has had a boob job.
Right after that, Santana fights with Quinn in the hallways, which probably means that Santana only told Quinn, and obviously Brittany, about it. While they were fighting, Brittany unsuccessfully asks them to "stop the violence." At the end of the episode, Quinn sees Santana in the bottom of the pyramid and seems to feel bad for her.
They sit together in the choir room. In addition, at the beginning of Toxic, they dance together.
They sit together in the Choir Room.
In the first Choir Room scene, they are chatting together before Mr Schue starts talking and then sit together. While Santana and Mercedes perform River Deep, Mountain High, Quinn happily watches their performance, while Brittany bites her nails.
The trio all make comments regarding Finn's body during the rehearsals for Rocky Horror.
The trio, together with the rest of the New Directions girls, perform Start Me Up/Livin' on a Prayer. Quinn is partnered with Brittany, while Santana is partnered with Tina. They also sit together during their costume rehearsals and when Will announces that Coach Beiste quit.
The trio sing backup vocals in Forget You, and are constantly shown dancing together throughout the performance. They also sit together as a group in most of the Choir Room scenes.
They are first seen dancing together in California Gurls then later being told by Sue that they're not good enough and they need to up their performance, Quinn and Santana are vocal about how it's not their fault. They are also seen cheerleading during the football game. Later on, the trio are seen outside with Sue, who is unveiling the new cannon which she intends to shoot Brittany out of. Brittany worries that she will die, but Quinn assures her that she will tell Will and get him to stop it. Sue then tells them that they have to choose between Glee Club and Cheerios. At first, they quit Glee Club, but are soon convinced by Finn to return at the end of the episode.
While Rachel and Finn are talking, the Unholy Trinity can be seen sitting together at a table looking at a menu. When Quinn is sad about Finn breaking up with her, Santana and Brittany console her. It is implied that Quinn also knows that Santana sometimes has sex with Brittany, and is okay with it. This is shown when Santana says, "I think I know how to make you feel better." and Quinn replies, "I'm flattered, Santana, but I'm not really that into that." Both, Brittany and Santana, accompany her to get a hair cut after Santana suggested it. They are also seen dancing together in a triangle during Light Up the World. Quinn assists Sam and Mike in holding back Santana when she tries to attack Rachel while yelling at her angrily in Spanish. Brittany watches the scene looking very shocked with most of the other Glee members.
Santana and Brittany try to persuade a new-look Quinn to rejoin Glee Club and the Cheerios after she quit and joined The Skanks. Brittany states that they used to be "like the Three Musketeers," and that they all slept with Puck and joined the Cheerios the same year. Brittany and Santana admit to missing Quinn in their trio and openly express their wanting of her to be their friend again. Quinn, however, rejects their offer.
In Run the World (Girls), Brittany has a solo and Santana sings as back-up while Quinn doesn't sing, though during the number, the Unholy Trinity is seen dancing alone while all the other girls are lying on the floor. During Spotlight, Quinn and Santana can be seen talking with each other, while Brittany is doing back-up vocals (along with Tina) for Mercedes.
Along with Tina, the three of them share their experiences and their first times of having sex with Rachel. They all agree that it's a bad idea for Rachel to have sex with Finn.
During this episode, Quinn and Santana both vote for Brittany during the elections (Quinn states she's voting for her because she's the only girl). Both, Quinn and Brittany, stand up for Santana, when the captain of the rugby team torments her. Later they dance together in I Kissed a Girl. Brittany and Quinn are seen close while they're dancing and then Quinn is seen hugging Santana.
After Sectionals, Quinn goes to the girls bathroom, and she talks with Santana and Brittany. She tells them that she loves them, and she wants them to rejoin New Directions. Later, during We Are Young, they sing together and at one point, Quinn walks up to Santana while singing her solo.
During Quinn's solo of Never Can Say Goodbye, we see the inside of her locker which has a picture of all of the New Directions Girls, including Santana and Brittany. She also has pictures of them during Rocky Horror. Brittany and Santana hug her after the performance. Santana is the first person to go up and hug Quinn. Santana and Brittany also enthusiastically congratulate Quinn on her Yale acceptance and look delighted for her.
Santana pays The God Squad, including Quinn, to sing a song to Brittany for Valentine's Day. The only problem is Joe is religious and is torn between religion and his own conscience on whether he should sing to a gay couple. At Sugar's party at Breadstix, he comes to the conclusion that "love is love" and he should sing a song. Together with The God Squad, Quinn sings Cherish/Cherish to Brittany and Santana, to which the two enjoy with the rest of the guests at the party.
Quinn and Santana sit together during the performance of The Warblers. Also, they have a little interaction during the Glad You Came performance. After Regionals, the trio are invited to Rachel's wedding. While they're waiting for Quinn's arrival, Santana says to Rachel that Quinn's not coming.
Brittany performs I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me) with Santana and unsuccessfully tries to dance with Quinn. After the performance, Brittany says to Quinn that she is still dancing (and flying and breathing fire) in her dreams. In the girls bathroom, Brittany and Santana, along with the other girls, comment on the chemistry between Quinn and Joe.
Brittany is in charge of the Prom because she is senior class president and she puts Santana and Quinn in charge of counting the prom court votes. All three of them are nominated for Senior Prom Court, Santana and Quinn for Prom Queen and Brittany for Prom King.
Before the New Directions go onto the stage to perform at Nationals, The Unholy Trinity form a circle to cheer for themselves in private, saying that they began their school career together and that they will also end it together. "Start together, end together," Santana says, with Brittany and Quinn agreeing.
They sit together on and around the piano during Will's performance of Forever Young. They smile to each other and share emotional looks, Santana and Quinn hold hands. Their friendship is clearly very strong. At Santana and Quinn's graduation, Brittany attends the ceremony and she hugs both of them and fans Quinn before they go up onto the stage to collect their diplomas.
The Unholy Trinity are seen talking to the New Directions Girls about how in sync they were and how they were all beautiful and popular during their time at McKinley. Quinn also explains that they knew which way they were going to move by Santana's upper lip, indicating the sensibility among them. They perform Come See About Me with Quinn as the lead, and Brittany and Santana singing back-up, which all of the New Directions Girls enjoy. The dance moves are similar to the ones in I Say a Little Prayer, their first song together and audition song for New Directions. Quinn and Santana later fight, as Quinn refuses to believe Santana about Kitty's cruelty, and accuses her of still being jealous of her after high school. They both slap each other, and as in all fights between Quinn and Santana, Brittany comes in and they both stop immediately.
Before the wedding from Will and Emma starts, Brittany and Sam look back to Quinn and Santana and smiling to them. Later, Quinn and Santana watch Brittany and Sam dance.
Santana refers to Brittany and Quinn when she told Rachel about only being with bisexuals and college girls who want to experiment.
Santana says to Rachel that she along with Quinn and Brittany hated her and did awful things to her in high school. She also states that it looked like it was Quinn who hated Rachel the most, when really Santana hated her the most.
Santana mentions Quinn and Brittany to Rachel, while reminiscing about female friends she had.
The Unholy Trinity reunites and dance together in Raise Your Glass to celebrate April's return to save the glee club. Later, Santana convinces Brittany to reunite the Unholy Trinity so she can get her mind out of mathematics that leads them into singing Toxic with Quinn.
For the performance they sing in the choir room in their Cheerios uniforms. Quinn is happy to see Brittany and Santana dancing in Valerie. At the end of the episode, the three ladies are with the New Directions commemorating Finn and they are sad because the glee club is ending.
Brittany and Santana make their first appearance in the auditorium with Mercedes before Quinn, Sam, Artie, Puck and Tina appear as well. All of them had been contacted by Rachel to help recruit members for the revived glee club. The trio, along with Artie, perform Problem on the football field in hopes of getting the Cheerios interested. Though they receive insult from Kitty, they do in fact interest two Cheerios (Mason and Madison McCarthy) enough to join at the end of the episode. They also follow Roderick's singing voice with the other alums to find him and convince him to try out for glee club. During his audition, they sing back up to Mustang Sally. At the end of the episode, they attend homecoming along with everyone else.
Quinn seems to be supportive for Brittany and Santana's engagment. Later the trio, along with Tina is seen to cheer up Becky. At the end of the episode they are part of performance You Learn/You've Got a Friend.
When Sue arrives at her garage, we see that she have pictures of the Unholy Trinity on her wall board.
The Unholy Trinity is mentioned by Sue Sylvester when she says that Quinn, Brittany, and Santana Lopez are one of her most successful Cheerios during an interview with Geraldo Rivera. "I wished your interviewed some of my more successful Cheerios. Like Quinn Fabray, currently enrolled at Yale, Brittany S. Pierce, math prodigy M.I.T., Santana Lopez was a broadway understudy and now could have a very promising career as a high class prostitute". Geraldo then tells her that they did reach out to all three of them and they declined to comment, leaving Sue seemingly speechless.
- Danced Together
- Sang Together (In a Group Number)
|Time Warp||Glee: The Music, The Rocky Horror Glee Show||Finn, Kurt, Mercedes, and Tina|
- Danced Together
- Related Songs
- Cherish/Cherish by Madonna/The Association. (Heart)
- I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me) by Whitney Houston. (Dance with Somebody)
- Take My Breath Away by Berlin. (Prom-asaurus)
- Danced Together
|Take On Me||Homecoming||Artie, Kurt, Tina, Rachel, Mercedes, Puck and Sam|
|Home||Artie, Kurt, Tina, Rachel, Mason, Madison, Roderick, Spencer, Jane, and Puck|
|You Learn/You've Got a Friend||Jagged Little Tapestry||Kurt, Rachel, and Tina|
- Back Up Vocals
- They officially became known as The Unholy Trinity as of The Purple Piano Project, when Santana uses the term.
- In all of their performances together, at least one of them is wearing a cheerio uniform.
- As of Season Three, they all seem to be good friends with Rachel Berry.
- Quinn and Rachel start in Hold on to Sixteen when Rachel asks if they are "kind of" friends and Quinn nods and agrees "kind of." They are all bridesmaids at Rachel and Finn's wedding, in which Quinn gets in a car crash because of her texting.
- Santana and Rachel in I Kissed a Girl and Heart, in which Rachel is happy that Santana tells her family that she loves Brittany and when Santana is happy that Finn and Rachel are getting married.
- Brittany and Rachel start in The Purple Piano Project in which they dance together in We Got the Beat.
- As of the season two episode Blame It on the Alcohol, the trio have all kissed Sam Evans. As of the Season Four episode Swan Song, the trio have all dated Sam Evans.
- They have all slept with Noah Puckerman, and all in the same year (revealed in The Purple Piano Project).
- They have all dated/gone on a date with Finn Hudson and Sam Evans.
- They have a two-sided love (Santana/Brittany), but have never been in an intimate, knowing relationship with Quinn.
- Santana has the most solos out of the three of them, with 15, but only 13 were aired, while Brittany has eight, seven of which were aired, and Quinn has six solos. As far as duets go, Santana has the most out of the three, with 20, then Brittany and Quinn tie with nine duets each.
- The name Unholy Trinity actually came from a fanfic done by Lynnearlington on Livejournal called They Say Bad Things Happen For a Reason. chapter 20.
- All wore Rachel's outfit, which they thought was Brittany's idea.
- Despite the fact that they didn't seem to be friends anymore Santana and Brittany still comforted Quinn when she was hysterical over her break-up with Finn. After this encounter they seemed to have rekindled their friendship.
- Both Quinn (seen in The Purple Piano Project and I Am Unicorn) and Santana (stated in Funeral) smoke cigarettes/cigars. (Though Quinn could have quit after leaving The Skanks.)
- Both Quinn and Santana voted Brittany for Senior Class President (seen in I Kissed a Girl).
- All of them, at some point, wanted to quit New Directions and join the Troubletones for different reasons. (Quinn wants to be closer to Beth, Santana wants to shine and to be seen as a star, and Brittany follows Santana's wish to her leprechaun, Rory). However, only Santana and Brittany were allowed by Shelby to join the Troubletones.
- All of them had different relationships with Finn. (Quinn had a romantic one, Santana had a sexual one, and Brittany had a friendship one).
- In The Purple Piano Project, Santana said that they will win two National championships in their senior year, but Quinn didn't care about it. While in On My Way, Quinn said to Sue that she will win the National championship in the Cheerios' uniform. Quinn may have changed her mind about winning in Nationals.
- All of them had a private date at Breadstix (Quinn and Sam in Duets, and Brittany and Santana in Pot o' Gold). Coincidentally, it happened during the fourth episode of the second and third season, respectively.
- Since On My Way, the trio are in the Cheerios together for the first and last time in Season Three.
- Both Quinn and Santana ran for Junior Prom Queen (as seen in Prom Queen).
- Also, both Quinn and Santana cried after losing from being Prom Queen and accompanied by someone. (Rachel for Quinn and Brittany for Santana)
- All three were nominated for Senior Prom Court (Santana and Quinn for Prom Queen; Brittany for Prom King). (Prom-asaurus)
- The Unholy Trininty placed top three on AfterEllen's 2012 Top 100 list, with Heather in 3rd, Dianna in 2nd, and Naya in 1st.
- Dianna, Heather and Naya are great friends in real life.
- Brittany likes dancing with Santana, but felt bad for Quinn when she was in her wheelchair. She said Quinn could still walk in her dreams, she could also fly and breath fire.
- All became a Head Cheerio. (Quinn in Seasons 1 and 2 and off screen in her Freshman year, Santana in Season 1 after Quinn was kicked off and co-head with Becky in Season 3, and Brittany in Season 4.)
- All have lost the Position of Head Cheerio once. (Quinn in Season 1 when she was kicked off, Santana in Season 2 when Quinn came back, and Brittany in Season 4 when she was kicked off.)
- They all changed their hair. (Quinn cut hers and dyed it; Santana grew hers out, got bangs, got highlights, and dyed it; and Brittany got bangs and then got rid of them.)
- They all have been shown on the cover of a magazine at some point on the show in their lockers. (Source)
- At first, Quinn and Santana were shown as best friends, but later on Brittany, Quinn, and Santana became best friends.
- Each of them has sung a duet with Sam: Quinn with Lucky and I've Had the Time Of My Life, Brittany with Celebrity Skin, Something Stupid, and More Than Words, and Santana with Make No Mistake (She's Mine).
- Although Quinn is known as a Christian, she never has issues with Santana and Brittany's relationship or their sexuality shown in New York. Quinn appears to support the LGBT community, and believes being gay is not a choice, as stated in I Kissed a Girl, and even slept with Santana.
- Quinn seems to have known about Brittany and Santana's secret relationship before anyone else. (New York)
- Brittany, Quinn and Santana have different sexuality. Brittany is bisexual, Quinn is heterosexual and Santana is Lesbian.
- They're the only known New Directions girls who have had sex with another girl.
- Santana has slept with both Brittany and Quinn separately.
- Each one of them has sung a song (or a least covered) by Dionne Warwick: Quinn with I Say a Little Prayer, Brittany with Wishin' And Hoping, and Santana with Alfie.
- All three have been demoted to recurring characters after being part of the main cast for three or more seasons.
- Quinn was the first one, becoming a recurring character in the fourth season after being part of the main cast for the first three.
- After Heather got pregnant, Brittany was written out of some episodes at the end of the fourth season, and then being demoted to recurring status starting in the fifth season, appearing in only three episodes.
- Santana, was promoted to a main character with Brittany during the second season, and was demoted for the sixth, and last season, per Rivera's request.
|Character relationship(s) displayed: