|Season Four, Episodes 67-88|
|Season Premiere||September 13, 2012|
|Season Finale||May 9, 2013|
|Viewers (in millions)||8.26|
The season introduced several new characters, such as Jake Puckerman, Marley Rose, Kitty Wilde, Hunter Clarington, and winner and runner up of The Glee Project, Blake Jenner (Ryder Lynn) and Ali Stroker (Betty Pillsbury) respectively, it also counts with the return of Alex Newell (Unique Adams). Chord Overstreet (Sam Evans) was also promoted to the main cast, as his character was recurring in Seasons Two and Three. Dianna Agron (Quinn Fabray) and Jayma Mays (Emma Pillsbury) both reduced their roles to recurring after being main cast for three seasons. New characters were introduced as the plot focuses on the new generation of the New Directions due to the loss of several members after graduation. The plot also focuses on Rachel's college experience in New York as well as what the rest of the alumni are doing after graduation.
- Darren Criss as Blaine Anderson (22/22)
- Kevin McHale as Artie Abrams (22/22)
- Chord Overstreet as Sam Evans (22/22)
- Jenna Ushkowitz as Tina Cohen-Chang (22/22)
- Lea Michele as Rachel Berry (19/22) (episodes 1-4, 6, 8-17, 19-22)
- Chris Colfer as Kurt Hummel (19/22) (episodes 1-4, 6, 8-17, 19-22)
- Heather Morris as Brittany Pierce (19/22) (episodes 1-15, 17-19, 22)
- Matthew Morrison as Will Schuester (17/22) (episodes 1-6, 8-10, 14-16, 18-22)
- Jane Lynch as Sue Sylvester (16/22) (episodes 1-3, 5-6, 8-10, 12-16, 18, 20, 22)
- Cory Monteith as Finn Hudson (15/22) (episodes 3-16, 19)
- Naya Rivera as Santana Lopez (13/22) (episodes 2, 4, 6, 8-9, 12-17, 20, 22)
- Mark Salling as Noah Puckerman (8/22) (episodes 2, 7-11, 14, 19)
- Amber Riley as Mercedes Jones (8/22) (episodes 5-6, 8, 12, 14, 19, 21-22)
- Harry Shum Jr. as Mike Chang (8/22) (episodes 5-6, 8-10, 14, 21-22)
Special Guest Stars
- Kate Hudson as Cassandra July (5/22) (episodes 1-2, 6, 9, 21)
- Sarah Jessica Parker as Isabelle Wright (3/22) (episodes 3, 8, 20)
- Whoopi Goldberg as Carmen Tibideaux (2/22) (episodes 1, 9)
- Idina Menzel as Shelby Corcoran (1/22) (episode 19)
- Katey Sagal as Nancy Abrams (1/22) (episode 21)
- Jacob Artist as Jake Puckerman (22/22)
- Melissa Benoist as Marley Rose (22/22)
- Becca Tobin as Kitty Wilde (20/22) (episodes 1-2, 4-13, 15-22)
- Alex Newell as Unique Adams (18/22) (episodes 1-2, 4-6, 8-9, 11-13, 15-22)
- Blake Jenner as Ryder Lynn (18/22) (episodes 5-22)
- Dean Geyer as Brody Weston (14/22) (episodes 1-4, 6, 8-9, 11-14, 16-17)
- Samuel Larsen as Joe Hart (13/22) (episodes 1-2, 4-12, 15, 22)
- Lauren Potter as Becky Jackson (11/22) (episodes 3, 7, 9-12, 14, 16, 18-20)
- Jayma Mays as Emma Pillsbury (10/22) (episodes 2-5, 8, 12-15, 22)
- Vanessa Lengies as Sugar Motta (9/22) (episodes 1, 3, 5-8, 11, 15, 22)
- Trisha Rae Stahl as Millie Rose (7/22) (episodes 1-2, 6-8, 10, 14, 18)
- Iqbal Theba as Principal Figgins (7/22) (episodes 2, 5-6, 9, 12, 18, 20)
- Dot-Marie Jones as Shannon Beiste (6/22) (episodes 5, 7, 10, 11, 18-19)
- Nolan Gerard Funk as Hunter Clarington (4/22) (episodes 7-8, 11-12)
- Mike O'Malley as Burt Hummel (3/22) (episodes 1, 10, 21)
- Dianna Agron as Quinn Fabray (3/22) (episodes 8, 12, 14)
- NeNe Leakes as Roz Washington (3/22) (episodes 19-20, 22)
- Oliver Kieran-Jones as Adam Crawford (3/22) (episodes 11, 13, 15)
- Ginny Gardner as Katie / Marissa (2/22) (episodes 16, 18)
- Jessica Sanchez as Frida Romero (2/22) (episodes 20, 22)
- Grant Gustin as Sebastian Smythe (2/22) (episodes 7-8)
- Josh Sussman as Jacob Ben Israel (2/22) (episodes 1-2)
- Jessalyn Gilsig as Terri Del Monico (1/22) (episode 10)
- Mark Christopher Lawrence as Rob Adams (1/22) (episode 6)
- Davenia McFadden as Betty Adams (1/22) (episode 6)
- Gina Hecht as Mrs. Puckerman (1/22) (episode 10)
- Damian McGinty as Rory Flanagan (1/22) (episode 10)
- Aisha Tyler as Jake's Mother (1/22) (episode 10)
- Ashley Fink as Lauren Zizes (1/22) (episode 11)
- Bill A. Jones as Rod Remington (1/22) (episode 12)
- Earlene Davis as Andrea Carmichael (1/22) (episode 12)
- Ali Stroker as Betty Pillsbury (1/22) (episode 14)
- Valerie Mahaffey as Rose Pillsbury (1/22) (episode 15)
- Don Most as Rusty Pillsbury (1/22) (episode 15)
- Romy Rosemont as Carole Hudson-Hummel (1/22) (episode 21)
- Brad Ellis as Brad (7/22)
- Ryan Heinke as Stoner Brett (6/22) (episodes 1-3, 7, 11-18)
- Pamela Chan as Dottie Kazatori (5/22) (episodes 1, 4, 7, 11-12)
- Daniel Curtis Lee as Phil Lipoff (4/22) (episodes 1-2, 7, 10)
- Jesse Luken as Bobby Surette (4/22) (episodes 1-2, 7, 10)
- Riker Lynch as Jeff (3/22) (episodes 7-8, 11)
- Curt Mega as Nick (3/22) (episodes 7-8, 11)
- Dominic Barnes as Trent (2/22) (episodes 7, 11)
- Neil Parker as Wes Fahey (1/22) (episodes 2)
- Michael Hitchcock as Dalton Rumba (1/22) (episode 3)
|Image||Title||Original Airdate|| U.S. Viewers|
|1. "The New Rachel"||September 13, 2012|| |
Plot: For the fourth time, it's a brand new year at McKinley, with the loss of 9 New Directions members due to graduations and Rory's departure. Blaine, Tina, Brittany and former Vocal Adrenaline lead, Unique, are in competition to decide who's the new leader, or "The New Rachel." Back in New York, Rachel settles in at NYADA, uncomfortable with Cassandra July's dance lessons and befriends an upperclassmen, Brody Weston. Still longing for Finn after he let her leave for New York in Goodbye, she tries to move on from her heartbreak. In Lima, New Directions prepare to find new members and hold auditions for the Glee Club while Kurt struggles to spend time with Blaine and cope with his part-time job at The Lima Bean.
Singles: "Call Me Maybe" (Blaine, Brittany, Tina, and Unique), "Americano/Dance Again" (Cassandra with NYADA Dance Students), "Never Say Never" (Jake), "New York State of Mind" (Marley and Rachel), "It's Time" (Blaine), "Chasing Pavements" (Marley with New Directions).
|2. "Britney 2.0"||September 20, 2012|| |
Plot: After Brittany is kicked out of the Cheerios, she wants to find inspiration from Britney Spears again to cheer herself up. In this second Britney Spears tribute episode, New Directions perform Britney songs in hopes of cheering up Brittany. Being kicked out of the Cheerios and daring to perform lead with New Directions for the pep assembly for the beginning of the year (instead lip-syncing), is surely not the Brittany we know. Jake and Marley perform a sweet number together, but will their relationship continue to grow? Rachel shows Cassandra her sexy side when Kurt reveals to Rachel about Cassandra's breakdown, and Cassandra motivates Rachel by telling her she has no sex appeal.
Singles: "Hold It Against Me" (Brittany with Kitty and the Cheerios), "Boys/Boyfriend" (Artie and Blaine with New Directions Boys), "Womanizer" (Marley, Tina, and Unique with WMHS Girls), "3" (Joe, Sam, and Tina), "Crazy/'U Drive Me Crazy" (Jake and Marley), "Oops!... I Did It Again" (Rachel with NYADA Dance Students), "Gimme More" (Brittany with New Directions), "Everytime" (Marley).
|3. "Makeover"||September 27, 2012|| |
Plot: In the third episode of the fourth season many characters experience immense change. Blaine decides that, since Kurt has gone to New York, he will shine in his senior year at McKinley. He signs up for many clubs, specifically running against Brittany for class president. Brittany and Artie pair up and Sam joins Blaine by becoming his vice-president. As they run against each other, they are also making themselves over. After Kurt faces his big interview at Vogue.com with Isabelle Wright (Sarah Jessica Parker), he decides to drag Rachel to have a total makeover. Rachel's immense change will alter her growing friendship with Brody, and at the end of the episode someone familiar returns.
Singles: "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" (Blaine), "Celebrity Skin" (Brittany and Sam), "The Way You Look Tonight/You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile" (Isabelle, Kurt, and Rachel), "A Change Would Do You Good" (Brody and Rachel).
|4. "The Break-Up"||October 4, 2012|| |
Plot: When Finn returns to Rachel unexpectedly, it causes their relationship to shake, due to Rachel and Brody's developing friendship while Finn was in the army. Meanwhile in Lima, Blaine misses Kurt and feels left behind causing him to act in an insensible manner. As he visits his boyfriend in New York, he acts differently, making Kurt suspicious. Santana and Brittany struggle with their relationship because of the long distance, therefore they decide to finish it off in a mature way. Marley admits to Jake that she isn't too keen with Kitty, and Emma and Will deal with conflicts when Will is accepted into the Blue Ribbon Panel for the performing arts show choir and wants to pull Emma from being the school counselor to join him in Washington.
Singles: "Barely Breathing" (Blaine and Finn), "Give Your Heart a Break" (Brody and Rachel), "Teenage Dream (Acoustic Version)" (Blaine), "Don't Speak" (Blaine, Finn, Kurt, and Rachel), "Mine" (Santana), "The Scientist" (Blaine, Brittany, Emma, Finn, Kurt, Rachel, Santana, and Will).
|5. "The Role You Were Born to Play"||November 8, 2012|| |
Plot: After a tiring break-up with Rachel, Finn is working full-time at Burt's auto shop. Artie, however, suggests that he assists with directing the school musical, Grease, as, after all, it was his idea to do the production. They hold auditions, but Blaine is sentimental over his actions and how he treated Kurt and his relationship. Mike and Mercedes are welcomed back as the choreographer and vocal coach of the musical, and Finn has an eye on a sophomore student to audition for the musical. But when this new student enters the scene, will his presence impact and expand the Kitty, Jake and Marley love triangle?
Singles: "Hopelessly Devoted to You" (Blaine), "Blow Me (One Last Kiss)" (Marley and Unique), "Juke Box Hero" (Finn and Ryder), "Everybody Talks" (Jake and Kitty), "Born to Hand Jive" (Jake, Marley, Mercedes, and Ryder with New Directions, Kitty and Mike).
|6. "Glease"||November 15, 2012|| |
Plot: Announcing his sabbatical from McKinley, Will reveals that Finn will replace him, causing New Directions to be displeased. Sue isn't pleased with Unique playing Rizzo and isn't too happy about Finn's offensive words towards her. Rachel and Brody discuss Rachel's first off-Broadway audition but Cassandra doubts she can make it, and makes sure Rachel's spirits are crushed. As McKinley prepares for the school production of Grease, Santana jumps in to play Rizzo, and Rachel and Kurt attend the school production even though they are aware they have to reunite with their old lovers.
Singles: "Greased Lightning" (Ryder and Sam with New Directions Boys, Finn and Mike except Blaine), "Look at Me I'm Sandra Dee" (Kitty with New Directions Girls except Marley), "Beauty School Drop Out " (Blaine with New Directions Girls, Kitty and Santana except Sugar), "Look at Me I'm Sandra Dee (Reprise)" (Marley), "There Are Worse Things I Could Do" (Cassandra, Santana, and Unique), "You're the One That I Want" (Blaine, Brittany, Finn, Kurt, Marley, Rachel, Ryder, and Santana with New Directions, Mercedes, and Mike).
Absent: Mark Salling
|7. "Dynamic Duets"||November 22, 2012|| |
Plot: The Warblers steal the New Directions' Nationals trophy. Most of the Glee Club members are part of a group called the "Society of Superheroes" meeting and in their superheroes costumes, they investigate the case. Jake and Ryder continue to fight for Marley, which alters to a serious case in which Jake discovers a secret of Ryder's. Finn sets an assignment for Jake and Ryder to pair up and Marley and Kitty to pair up and sing superheroes songs to get even, known as "Dynamic Duets." Kitty acts friendly, but in actual fact she is still trying to get Marley bulimic, Marley unaware of Kitty's plans. Blaine sings a song with the Warblers and considers returning to Dalton as he misses Kurt's presence at McKinley and their break-up.
Singles: "My Dark Side" (Blaine with Dalton Academy Warblers), "Superman" (Jake and Ryder), "Holding Out for a Hero" (Kitty and Marley with New Directions), "Heroes" (Blaine and Sam), "Some Nights" (New Directions).
|8. "Thanksgiving"||November 29, 2012|| |
Plot: Mercedes, Mike, Puck, Quinn and Santana return to McKinley for the holidays. Kurt and Rachel however, decide to stay in New York for Thanksgiving to avoid drama, breaking the promise they made back before graduation about returning to McKinley on vacations. Finn decides to train the new joiners of the New Directions by pairing them up with the different alumni and plans PSY's Gangnam Style for the New Directions' big number at Sectionals. In New York, Kurt invites Isabelle and her friends to celebrate Thanksgiving with Brody, Rachel and him. Marley continues to lose weight and it eventually results in a major twist, affecting the New Directions.
Singles: "Homeward Bound/Home" (Finn, Mercedes, Mike, Puck, Quinn, and Santana), "Come See About Me" (Brittany, Quinn, and Santana), "Whistle" (Hunter with Dalton Academy Warblers), "Live While We're Young" (Hunter and Sebastian with Dalton Academy Warblers), "Let's Have a Kiki/Turkey Lurkey Time" (Isabelle, Kurt, and Rachel with Isabelle's Friends and Brody), "Gangnam Style" (Tina with Kitty, Ryder and New Directions).
|9. "Swan Song"||December 6, 2012|| |
Plot: After Marley's onstage faint at Sectionals, the New Directions learn of their loss at the competition. Back at NYADA, Kurt and Rachel are both extremely nervous, Rachel about the Winter Showcase and whether she will be chosen and Kurt, re-auditioning for the school. The New Directions begin to split apart as their competition season is over but Finn and Marley attempt to bring the spark back.
Singles: "Something Stupid" (Brittany and Sam), "All That Jazz" (Cassandra and Rachel with NYADA Dance Students), "Being Good Isn't Good Enough" (Rachel), "O Holy Night" (Rachel), "Being Alive" (Kurt), "Don't Dream It's Over" (Finn and New Directions).
Absent: Amber Riley
|10. "Glee, Actually"||December 13, 2012|| |
Plot: In a homage to the beloved holiday film "Love, Actually," seemingly separate storylines come together to form one merry Glee episode. Artie has an It's a Wonderful Life inspired dream that changes his outlook on life, Kurt has a Christmas that he will never forget that involves both his father and Blaine, Jake and Puck spend quality time together for Hannukah. Meanwhile, as the end of 2012 draws near, Sam and Brittany live their lives to the fullest before the Mayan Apocalypse occurs and Sue has a change of heart when she gets Mrs. Rose as her Secret Santa.
Singles: "Feliz Navidad" (Artie), "White Christmas" (Blaine and Kurt), "Hanukkah, Oh Hanukkah" (Jake and Puck), "Jingle Bell Rock" (Sam with the Cheerios), "The First Noel" (Marley), "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (Kurt, Puck, and New Directions with Finn).
|11. "Sadie Hawkins"||January 24, 2013|| |
Plot: Tina comes up with the idea of Sadie Hawkins during the William McKinley High School Council meeting. So with the idea of Sadie Hawkins, Coach Beiste also encourages Finn to let the Glee Club have fun and perform at the event. As the girls attempt to ask boys out at the dance, the boys seem nervous, as well as the girls who are afraid of being rejected. Meanwhile back in New York, Rachel encourages Kurt to seek someone else, Kurt taking interest in a glee club leader named Adam at NYADA.
Singles: "I Don't Know How to Love Him" (Tina), "Baby Got Back" (Adam with The Apples), "Tell Him" (Brittany and Marley with New Direction Girls), "No Scrubs" (New Directions Boys except Jake), "Locked Out of Heaven" (Marley and Unique with New Directions Girls except Kitty), "I Only Have Eyes for You" (Ryder with Artie, Joe, and Unique).
|12. "Naked"||January 31, 2013|| |
Plot: With the Warblers officially disqualified from the show choir competition, the New Directions are back in the run and have to raise money for Regionals. Tina comes up with the idea of "The Men of McKinley" calendar, taking hot photos of the current Glee guys. However, Artie isn't too keen with the idea. Sam is certain with his recent SAT score that he won't graduate from McKinley and decides to take care of his body instead. While back in New York, Rachel is asked to go topless in a student film, leaving Kurt shocked enough to call in two familiar faces for an intervention.
Singles: "Torn" (Rachel), "Centerfold/Hot in Herre" (Jake, Ryder, and Sam with New Directions Boys and the Cheerios except Artie), "A Thousand Years" (Jake and Marley), "Let Me Love You (Until You Learn to Love Yourself)" (Jake), "Love Song" (Quinn, Rachel, and Santana), "This Is the New Year" (New Directions).
|13. "Diva"||February 7, 2013|| |
Plot: Kurt is getting worried as Rachel and he begin to drift apart since she has become more egotistical after winning the Winter Showcase. He begins to plan out a diva-off challenge, known as "Midnight Madness," to thrash Rachel and ensures that he is prepared to win. Back at McKinley, Finn needs to find a large topic so that the New Directions are able to have the right attitude to tackle Regionals, and in order to help, Emma thinks of "Diva Week," where the New Directions are set out to beat each other to be the winner.Santana makes a surprising return to Lima from Louisville, after finding out about Brittany and Sam's relationship which ends with Santana making a huge decision about her future. Tina begins to properly confront her feelings towards Blaine, using the week's assignment to assist her and Emma begins to stress out because of her wedding next week which ends up leading to an unexpected event.
Singles: "Diva" (New Directions Girls and Blaine), "Don't Stop Me Now" (Blaine with New Directions), "Nutbush City Limits" (Santana with The Cardinals), "Make No Mistake (She's Mine)" (Sam and Santana), "Bring Him Home" (Kurt and Rachel), "Hung Up" (Tina), "Girl on Fire" (Santana).
|14. "I Do"||February 14, 2013|| |
Plot: The time has officially arrived for Will and Emma Pillsburry's Valentine's Day wedding. Finn must contend with his guilt over kissing Emma in the previous episode, while Emma is convinced she won't be able to go through with the wedding. Many alumni of McKinley's Glee Club return, causing old relationships to stir up and new ones to be created. Jake enlists Ryder's help in giving Marley the perfect Valentine's Week as Ryder struggles with his own feelings. Artie is introduced to Emma's niece, Betty, who proves to be more than the average tough cookie, Tina is unable to hide her jealousy over Kurt and Blaine. After the wedding, Rachel returns to New York to face a major bombshell.
Singles: "You're All I Need to Get By" (Jake and Marley with New Directions Boys), "Getting Married Today" (Emma, Mercedes, and Will with Wedding Guests), "Just Can't Get Enough" (Blaine and Kurt with Brittany, Marley, and Sam), "We've Got Tonite" (Artie, Betty, Blaine, Finn, Jake, Kurt, Marley, Quinn, Rachel, and Santana), "Anything Could Happen" (Artie, Jake, and Marley, with New Directions).
|15. "Girls (and Boys) on Film"||March 7, 2013|| |
Plot: Will states that movies and films are another way to calm people down from the day-to-day anxieties, in this case, himself being left at the altar by Emma in the last episode. He sets up a mash-up Boys Vs. Girls competition, based on songs from films. The Glee Club preps up for the competition as they perform their 500th musical performance on the show. As the Glee Club prepares for the competition, Finn assists Will in finding Emma successfully. Back in New York, Santana gets too comfortable in the Bushwick apartment for Kurt and Rachel's liking. When Adam, Kurt, Rachel, and Santana are snowbound, Santana digs out the dirty secret to who Brody really is and also finds out Rachel's pregnancy test results. Marley and Finn make confessions about kisses that do not end up well.
Singles: "You're All the World to Me" (Emma and Will), "Shout" (Blaine and Brittany with New Directions), "Come What May" (Blaine and Kurt), "Old Time Rock & Roll/Danger Zone" (Blaine and Sam with New Directions Boys), "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend/Material Girl" (Marley and Unique with New Directions Girls), "In Your Eyes" (Will with Unique and New Directions), "Unchained Melody" (Jake and Ryder), "Footloose" (Artie, Joe, and Sam with New Directions).
|16. "Feud"||March 14, 2013|| |
Plot: For the first time in Glee Club history, the students give the teachers an assignment, "Feud." After Finn reveals to Will that he kissed Emma, things get way out of hand. As this feud finds its ways to be solved, Finn eventually chooses a path that will shape his future. With the feud assignment set, it starts up more feuds, between Ryder and Unique and also between Blaine and Sue. Ryder, with a new online love interest, is asked to back-off Marley as he ruined her and Jake's relationship. Unique also has problems with people identifying her as a boy while Sue is determined to force Blaine back into the Cheerios to help her win upcoming Regionals, unaware that Blaine commences a plot to end her terror at the school. In New York though, Santana gets right down to the bottom heap and digs out Brody's secret, turning out he isn't who she really thought, leading to a new feud and Kurt and Rachel making a final decision based on her actions.
Singles: "How to Be a Heartbreaker" (Brody and Rachel), "The Bitch Is Back/Dress You Up" (Ryder and Unique with New Directions), "Cold Hearted" (Santana with NYADA Dance Girls), "Bye Bye Bye/I Want It That Way" (Finn and Will with New Directions Boys), "I Still Believe/Super Bass" (Blaine and Sue with New Directions and the Cheerios), "Closer" (Jake and Ryder with New Directions).
|17. "Guilty Pleasures"||March 21, 2013|| |
Plot: With Mr. Schue out for the week and Finn leaving the Glee Club to seek a teacher's degree, Blaine and Sam decide to run the Glee Club for the week after they discover each other's "Guilty Pleasures." The two create an assignment titled "Guilty Pleasures" where the Glee Club has to perform music from artists or songs they love but are too embarrassed to admit. When this week's assignment goes into the deep, Blaine and Sam's bond grows stronger, Marley and the New Directions Girls attack Jake's choice of song for the assignment and Kitty reveals her guilty pleasure on Brittany's internet segment that influences the other girls to join in. Back in New York, Santana returns to the Bushwick Apartment but somebody else seems to be missing. Kurt has a guilty pleasure that he's afraid to admit and he also attempts to prevent Santana from telling Rachel the truth about Brody.
Singles: "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" (Blaine and Sam with New Directions), "Copacabana" (Sam with New Directions), "Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)" (Blaine), "Wannabe" (New Directions Girls except Sugar), "My Prerogative" (Jake with New Directions Boys), "Creep" (Brody and Rachel), "Mamma Mia" (Kurt, Rachel, Santana, and New Directions).
|18. "Shooting Star"||April 11, 2013|| |
Plot: New Directions are heading to Regionals, but before they can rehearse, Brittany announces that an asteroid is headed for Lima, Ohio. Although it seems unlikely, Will creates an assignment, 'Last Chances,' so that the New Directions can say their final words to their loved ones just in case. Ryder takes the chance to find 'Katie,' the unknown girl he has been messaging online, only to find that he is being catfished. Becky questions how she will be able to go to college and seeks Sue and Brittany's help, while Coach Beiste confesses her feelings to Will.
|19. "Sweet Dreams"||April 18, 2013|| |
Plot: When the members of New Directions learn that the theme of this year's Regionals is "Dreams," everyone has his/her own opinion as to what they should sing, especially Marley, who has penned a few original songs. Due to last week's school shooting trauma, some New Direction's members cope in different ways while Coach Roz replaces Sue, and Blaine is suspicious about Sue's departure, pressing on Becky. Meanwhile, the day has finally come for Rachel to audition for the Broadway revival of Funny Girl, as her mom Shelby (special guest star, Idina Menzel) comes to offer her some much needed advice. In other news, Finn has arrived at The University of Lima, prepared to get his teaching degree but it takes an unexpected turn when college turns out to be one hell of a party and Finn meets an old friend.
Singles: "Next to Me" (Rachel and Shelby), "Fight for Your Right (To Party)" (Finn and Puck with Party Guests), "You Have More Friends Than You Know" (Blaine, Marley, Sam, and Unique) "Don't Stop Believin'" (Rachel with Artie, Finn, Kurt, Mercedes, and Tina), "Outcast" (New Directions).
|20. "Lights Out"||April 25, 2013|| |
Plot: When the power goes out at McKinley High, Will enlists the members of New Directions to "unplug" and perform acoustic numbers. While this happens, Ryder continues his long quest to discover who Katie is, along the way revealing a secret to the Glee Club leading to Kitty and Ryder's friendship to grow while Sue finds herself living a great life after being fired, becoming a training coach at a local gym, but Becky awaits her return and decides to tell Principal Figgins what happened. Meanwhile, in New York, Isabelle Wright asks Kurt to volunteer at the Vogue.com charity event, with Rachel and Santana in tow and while there, Santana finds herself.
Singles: "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" (Sam with Ryder and New Directions), "Everybody Hurts" (Ryder), "We Will Rock You" (New Directions), "Little Girls" (Sue), "At the Ballet" (Isabelle, Kurt, Rachel, and Santana), "Longest Time" (New Directions).
|21. "Wonder-ful"||May 2, 2013|| |
Plot: Will is inspired by Rachel after hearing that she got a second callback for Fanny Brice in Funny Girl and comes up with the week's assignment, a tribute to Stevie Wonder. As Mercedes and Mike return to mentor the Glee Club for the upcoming Regionals, Mercedes is tired of her producers, Mike discovers a new Glee Club talent and Kurt is scared for his father's results relating to prostate cancer. As senior members of the Glee Club continue to announce their acceptance into schools, Kitty finds out that Artie is accepted into a film school in New York but Artie insists that he can't go, leading to a further investigation by Kitty and her meeting with his mother, Nancy (Katey Sagal). In New York, Rachel is preparing for her big audition, expecting Cassandra to crush her - but things don't go as expected when she reacts with a different gesture.
Singles: "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours" (Kitty with New Directions), "Superstition" (Mercedes and New Directions with Kurt and Mike), "You Are the Sunshine of My Life" (Kurt with Kitty, Marley, and Tina), "I Wish" (Jake with Marley and New Directions), "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" (Cassandra with NYADA Students), "Higher Ground" (Mercedes), "For Once in My Life" (Artie with New Directions).
|22. "All or Nothing"||May 9, 2013|| |
Plot: Regionals is finally here, but due to an inconvenient situation, the competition is held at McKinley High. But before New Directions can hit a single note, drama occurs when Brittany comes back from her MIT visit with a different attitude and yet, an opportunity, while Marley covers up the catfisher that Ryder has been searching for, causing Ryder not wanting to perform at Regionals. Due to Brittany's unusual behavior, Sam tries to solve it by bringing Santana back to Ohio, while also trying to convince Blaine to stop his planned proposal between himself and Kurt. In New York, Rachel prepares for the callback for Funny Girl.
Singles: "To Love You More" (Rachel), "Rainbow Connection" (The Waffletoots), "Clarity" (Frida with The Hoosierdaddies), "Wings" (Frida with The Hoosierdaddies), "Hall of Fame" (New Directions Boys) "I Love It" (New Directions Girls), "All or Nothing" (New Directions).
- The introduction of the next generation of New Directions: Unique Adams, Marley Rose, Kitty Wilde, Jake Puckerman and Ryder Lynn.
- The break up/dramas of several couples: Finchel, Klaine, Brittana and Wemma.
- The love triangles of Marley/Ryder/Jake and Sam/Brittany/Santana.
- Marley struggling with self-image issues.
- Will leaving and putting Finn in charge of the glee club.
- New Directions loss at Sectionals and re-entering the competition after Warblers' disqualification.
- The unaccomplished, and now accomplished Wemma wedding.
- Kurt and Rachel's future in New York and NYADA.
- Santana's move to New York and settling in with Kurt and Rachel, as well figuring out what to do with her life.
- Ryder's catfish storyline, and finding out Unique is the catfish.
- Rachel's rivalry with her dance teacher, Cassandra.
- Rachel's pregnancy scare and her break-up with Brody after finding out about his secret.
- Blaine dealing with his crush on Sam and Tina dealing with her crush on Blaine.
- A gunshot going off at McKinley which sends everyone into panic.
- Rachel's Funny Girl audition and callbacks.
- Kurt working at Vogue.com and meeting/befriending, Isabelle Wright.
- Burt discovering he has cancer, and the news of having been cured.
- Finn deciding what to do with his life.
- Blaine planning to propose to Kurt.
- Brittany receiving a near perfect SAT score and subsequently graduating early and getting an early admission invitation from MIT.
- Lea Michele, Matthew Morrison, Cory Monteith, Naya Rivera, and Amber Riley had been absent for their first episodes this season.
- Heather Morris and Harry Shum Jr. also became absent for the first time since their introduction.
- Darren Criss, Kevin McHale, Jenna Ushkowitz, and Chord Overstreet are the only main cast members to have appeared in every episode of this season. Recurring guest stars, Melissa Benoist and Jacob Artist also are in all the episodes. This also makes this season the one with the most absent main cast members, with an average of 3.5 cast members absent per episode.
- This is the only Season in which Lea Michele is not present in every episode.
- It is the season with the least amount of released albums, without counting EPs.
- Although a disc titled "Season 4, Volume 1" was released, there was no other volumes released.
- This is the only season in which Vocal Adrenaline does not appear, and the first season in which Jesse St. James does not appear in.
- This is the last season:
- Puck and Mike are the only characters in the main cast to not have solos.
- There were only two episodes with the full main cast (Thanksgiving and I Do).
- This is the first season that Blaine appears in every episode of.
- Except for competitions, there were only two group numbers, in which all of the current New Directions members performed, Shout and Footloose, both performed in Girls (and Boys) on Film.
- Two couples broke up over the summer, Tina and Mike and Sam and Mercedes.
- Season Four is the season that has the most number of mash-up songs released and performed, with 12.
- Kitty wore her Cheerios uniform in every episode she appeared in.