|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the show choir competition level with the same name.|
|Season One, Episode Thirteen|
|First Aired||December 9, 2009|
Sectionals is the thirteenth episode of Glee's first season and the thirteenth episode overall. It premiered on December 9, 2009. After this episode, there was a four-month hiatus with the following episode, Hell-O, airing on April 13, 2010.
Sectionals is finally here for the Glee Club, but when Quinn's secret unravels, the club may not be able to recover in time to compete. Since Will has been disqualified from the competition, Emma steps up and tells him that she will take the kids to Sectionals as the club's faculty adviser even though her wedding is on the same day, and Will makes a potentially life-changing decision. Meanwhile, Sue's scheming hits an all-time high as Jane Addams Academy and Haverbrook School for the Deaf perform the New Direction's setlist.
The episode was written and directed by Brad Falchuk.
PlotAs a result of a technicality in the show choir competition rules, Will is not allowed to accompany New Directions to Sectionals because he had taken a mattress in the previous episode, Mattress. Emma postpones her own wedding by several hours so that she can take the club in his place, although her fiancé, football coach Ken Tanaka, feels she is choosing Will over him. The glee club learns that Puck is the real father of Quinn's baby. They decide not to tell Rachel, believing that she will tell Finn, but she deduces it anyway and tells him. Finn runs into the choir-room after Rachel reveals of the true paternity of "his" baby and punches Puck. Quinn, who breaks out in tears, begs him to stop and finally admits Puck is the true father. Finn shouts that he's done with her and with the others, implying that he's quitting New Directions. Rachel follows Quinn to a bench in the hallway and apologizes for telling Finn. Much to her surprise, Quinn says she is not mad at her and Rachel did what she was not brave enough to do; tell the truth. Quinn asks Rachel to leave her alone and Rachel walks away, just in time to see Puck, who is approaching Quinn as well. He says he wants to be with her and do everything he can to be a good father. However, she declines, telling him that she wants to do this on her own for now.
New Directions arrive at the event to discover that their competitors have received an advance copy of their set list, and are performing the songs they have chosen. Emma calls Will, who talks with Finn in the locker room and leaves his car keys so that Finn can drive to the competition. Although he is still furious with Quinn and Puck, he decides to rejoin the club, and drives to Sectionals.The club scrambles together a new set list. Emma then confronts rival choir directors Grace Hitchens and Dalton Rumba over their use of the leaked setlist, while New Directions are forced to choose new performance pieces at the last minute aided by the return of Finn. Mercedes allow Rachel to take over the ballad, because "if anyone is going to wing it on the fly," it should be her. Rachel says that she has a song that she's been working on since she was five, Don't Rain on My Parade. Finn arrives just in time and brings along a number that the New Directions can put together as their second choice, You Can't Always Get What You Want, while Quinn decides on the final song, Somebody to Love. After their performance, Grace attempts to confess her duplicity to the judges, but they have already unanimously decided that New Directions have won the competition. Having previously discovered that his wife Terri was faking her pregnancy, Will tells her he no longer loves her.
He later attends Ken and Emma's delayed wedding to find that Ken has ended the relationship as a result of Emma's feelings for Will. She announces her intention to leave William McKinley High School, explaining that it will be too painful for her to carry on working with both Will and Ken. Back at school, Principal Figgins suspends Sue for leaking the glee club's set list, and has Will reinstated as New Directions' director. This leaves the Cheerios with no coach. The glee club members show Will their trophy and perform My Life Would Suck Without You for him because he couldn't be there to see them win Sectionals. As Emma prepares to leave the school, Will chases after her and stops her with a kiss.
|Song Title||Original Artist||Performer(s)|
|And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going||Cast of Dreamgirls||Mercedes Jones|
|Don't Rain on My Parade||Cast of Funny Girl||Rachel Berry with New Directions|
|You Can't Always Get What You Want||The Rolling Stones||New Directions|
|My Life Would Suck Without You||Kelly Clarkson|
- And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going from Dream Girls sung by the Jane Adams Academy Glee club.
- Proud Mary by Ike and Tina Turner sung by the Jane Adams Academy Glee club.
- Don't Stop Believin' by Journey sung by the Haverbrook School for the Deaf Glee club.
Special Guest Star
- Patrick Gallagher as Ken Tanaka
- Iqbal Theba as Principal Figgins
- Anna Camp as Candace Dystra
- Patricia Forte as Donna Landries
- Michael Hitchcock as Dalton Rumba
- Naya Rivera as Santana Lopez
- Heather Morris as Brittany Pierce
- Bill A. Jones as Rod Remington
- Harry Shum Jr. as Mike Chang
- Dijon Talton as Matt Rutherford
- This episode was watched by 8.127 million viewers.
- This episode gives the first hint that Santana and Brittany have been hooking up. Santana says, "Sex is not dating," and Brittany then adds, "If it were, Santana and I would be dating."
- Jayma Mays called the kiss between her and Matt Morrison, "The Kiss."
- She wasn't given the script about the kiss, in order to keep it real.
- "Sectionals" was originally supposed to be the last episode of the first season, but Fox asked for nine additional episodes after this one.
- Rachel sang Don't Rain on My Parade for Sectionals from the musical Funny Girl. Interestingly enough, her mother would go on to sing a song from the same musical.
- Both Shelby and Jesse (unknown at this point on the show) saw Rachel's performance of Don't Rain on My Parade as stated in Hell-O by Jesse and in Theatricality by Shelby. This enlightened Shelby that Rachel was her daughter due to their similar voices, range, and looks.
- The choreography from My Life Would Suck Without You was mostly dances they have done before:
- Last Name when they dance around in cowboy hats.
- Hair/Crazy in Love the opening dance number as Rachel walks by the cast they all turn around swinging their hair.
- Push It when the group does pelvic thrusts together.
- I Kissed A Girl with the girls pointing towards their crotch as Tina did.
- Kurt, Tina, and Brittany performing dances reminiscent of Single Ladies.
- Brittany, Santana, and Quinn, perform dances they did from I Say a Little Prayer.
- All the Glee club do a move from Sit Down You're Rocking The Boat.
- While the New Directions perform You Can't Always Get What You Want, Grace is watching them. To her right there is one of the choreographers that choreographs Glee in real life, Brooke Lipton.
- This is the episode that Lea Michele submitted for her 2010 bid for the Emmy for Lead Actress in a Comedy.
- This is the only sectionals competition in which Rachel sings.
- Emma had first stated (since her engagement with Ken) that she did not want to have a big ceremony for their wedding, nobody had to know about it- or even be there. However, the reception clearly showed preparation for a fair amount of guests (finger food, reception hall, etc.).
- Toward the end of Rachel's solo at sectionals, the rest of the group comes on stage. In the close-up, you can clearly see Finn and Puck cross paths and stop behind her. Then, in the next shot, the boys are still walking by Rachel at the front of the stage.
- When the Haverbrook School were performing 'Don't Stop Believing', there was a scene where a man wiped his tears and Rachel shook her head upon seeing it. From the previous scene where the audience were focused on, Rachel had done the same action, thus repeating the same gesture twice.
- The club asks for Will's help in setting the set list for sectionals and Will says he can't help them. However, the set list is already in place, as Sue has leaked it to the other two teams.