|This article is about Silly Love Songs (Episode). You may be looking for the song of the same name.|
|Silly Love Songs|
|Season Two, Episode Twelve|
|First Aired||February 8, 2011|
"The Sue Sylvester Shuffle"
Valentine's Day has arrived for New Directions and as some members try to get Valentines and woo their lovers, not all are lucky. As Finn sets up a kissing booth in an attempt to kiss Quinn, using the excuse of raising money for New Directions' Regionals pay, Rachel tries to steal a kiss from Finn in an attempt to re-establish their relationship. Kurt's feelings for Blaine begin to loosen to the point where he is pushed to admit it after Blaine reveals his attraction to another man.
The episode was directed by Tate Donovan and written by Ryan Murphy.
PlotWill sets New Directions a love song assignment. Having fallen for Lauren, Puck tries to serenades her with Queen's Fat Bottomed Girls. Lauren finds his song choice insulting. Later, after agreeing on a pre-Valentine's date, she stands him up.Then she eventually agrees to spend Valentine's Day with him as friends.
Artie and Mike celebrate their respective relationships by performing Michael Jackson's P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) for Brittany and Tina. Tina later begins to sing My Funny Valentine to Mike, but is too overcome with emotion to continue and breaks down crying.Finn sets up a kissing booth, hoping to kiss Quinn, saying that he wants to raise money for New Directions. She initially refuses, but kisses him at the insistence of Sam, who is first mad at her for suspicion of kissing Finn, then for not kissing Finn. The kiss further re-ignites Finn and Quinn's feelings for one another, and they begin an affair. Santana, angry for having recently had her bad behavior highlighted by the other club members, conspires to give them mono and reveal Quinn's infidelity after using flawless logic to discover that Finn and Quinn are fooling around. Santana goes into the nurse's office and kisses Wes Fahey, a student sick with mono and kisses Finn immediately afterwards. Even though Finn kisses many other girls in school after this, somehow only Quinn gets the mono, thus their infidelity is inevitably revealed. Rachel is dismayed by his renewed feelings for Quinn, but resolves to concentrate on her career instead of romance, and leads the female New Directions members in a performance of Katy Perry's Firework. Meanwhile, at Dalton Academy, Blaine announces his intention to sing a love song to his crush. Kurt believes that Blaine has feelings for him, so he is disappointed when his crush turns out to be Jeremiah, the assistant manager at a local Gap store. The Dalton Academy Warblers accompany Blaine as he serenades Jeremiah with Robin Thicke's When I Get You Alone. They do appropriate, cute little things like try on sunglasses and push mannequins around and surround Jeremiah repeating the line "When I get you alone." Jeremiah is subsequently fired because he says his boss didn't approve of it, then admits he didn't like it either. Kurt confesses his feelings to Blaine, who tells Kurt that he cares for him but is terrible at romance, and does not want to risk damaging their friendship. The episode ends with New Directions assembled at Breadstix, where the Warblers perform Silly Love Songs for Kurt's first Lonely Hearts Club.
|Song Title||Original Artist||Performer(s)|
|Fat Bottomed Girls||Queen||Puck with New Directions Boys|
|P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)||Michael Jackson||Artie with New Directions|
|When I Get You Alone||Robin Thicke||Dalton Academy Warblers|
|My Funny Valentine †||Babes in Arms||Tina Cohen-Chang|
|Firework||Katy Perry||Rachel with New Directions Girls|
|Silly Love Songs||Paul McCartney and Wings||Dalton Academy Warblers|
- † denotes an unreleased song.
- Dot-Marie Jones as Shannon Beiste
- Harry Shum Jr. as Mike Chang
- Chord Overstreet as Sam Evans
- Darren Criss as Blaine Anderson
- Ashley Fink as Lauren Zizes
- Alexander Nifong as Jeremiah
- Telly Leung as Wes
- Riker Lynch as Jeff
- Titus Makin Jr. as David
- Eddy Martin as Thad
- Curt Mega as Nick
- Jeanine Anderson as Waitress Sandy
- Earnestine Phillips as Nurse
- Lauren Potter as Becky Jackson
- Jean Sincere as Librarian
- Cathy Dot as Barista
- Neil Parker as Wes Fahey
- Kati Sharp as Rochelle
Absent Cast Members
- Jessalyn Gilsig as Terri Schuester
- Jane Lynch as Sue Sylvester
- Jayma Mays as Emma Pillsbury
- Mike O'Malley as Burt Hummel
- The letters in this episode's title-card are pink instead of white.
- During P.Y.T (Pretty Young Thing), Mike does several classic Michael Jackson dance moves, including the moon walk.
- This is the third episode, after Home and Dream On, which has the same name of a song featured in it.
- The same music that plays when Kurt and Blaine are on the bench after the "Gap Attack" is the same music that plays in the episode New York at the Lima Bean when Blaine tells Kurt that he loves him.
- This episode marks the first episode where Santana and Brittany are not on the Cheerios and out of their uniforms other than in competitions or special events.
- In the 'Warblers Gap Attack', Blaine is seen wearing pink sunglasses, a well known accessory of Darren Criss, Blaine's portrayer.
- The design of Finn's kissing booth (including the "The Kisser Is In/Out" sign) is similar in style to Lucy's psychiatric booth in the Peanuts comic strips.
- This episode features Glee's two-hundredth performance, Silly Love Songs.
- From this episode onwards, Ashley Fink started being credited as a 'guest star', instead of a 'co-star'.
- Part of Quinn's line "Santana is such a bitch" is omitted in the UK re-runs of the episode; only "Santana is such a..." is shown instead, before it suddenly switches shots. This is likely due to Glee re-runs airing during the afternoon.
- After Finn catches mono, he is shown sick the next day. However, mononucleosis has at least a four-week incubation period before symptoms present. He, Quinn, and the girls he kissed in the kissing booth would have fallen ill around St. Patrick's Day.
- Wes refers to Blaine as "Junior Warbler, Blaine Anderson." In I Am Unicorn, however, which is set in the following school year, Blaine is revealed to be a junior again.
- My Funny Valentine and Firework are both performed at a Glee Club meeting on the same day due to the character's clothing. Finn states that Quinn's mom picked her up a few hours ago, and in that conversation Rachel gets the inspiration for her song. This means they either had a meeting that lasted a few hours, or two get togethers in the same day; both outcomes seem unusual.
- When it flashes back to Lauren and Puck's 'Seven Minutes in Heaven' (Special Education), the hallways are decorated with Valentines decorations. Yet, this scene should be set in December.
- When Finn gives the money to Mr Schu he says that he kissed every girl in the school, however he didn't kiss Brittany, Tina or Lauren.
- After Finn hands the money to Mr Schu, Mr Schu says that it will pay for half the trip to nationals, however they haven't been to Regionals yet so they don't know for sure that they're going to nationals.
I've cheated twice in my life. First time I got pregnant, second time I got mono. I think the universe's trying to tell me something.
—Quinn, Silly Love Songs
That's my man, and his legs don't work!
—Brittany, Silly Love Songs, when Artie finishes singing P.Y.T. to her
I'm so overcome with love! I love you, Mike Chang!