|The April Rhodes Civic Pavilion|
The April Rhodes Civic Pavilion (also known as The McKinley High School Auditorium) is a location at William McKinley High School where the New Directions practice their musical numbers and is also used for glee club auditions. The auditorium is named after April Rhodes. April was the mistress of Buddy Leibowitz, who died, and his wife gave April two million dollars not to leak the affair to the press. With her "hush money" she bought the auditorium for the glee club.
It was the host venue of the 2011 Western Ohio Sectional Championship between the New Directions, The Troubletones and The Unitards, the 2012 Midwest Regional Championship between The Golden Goblets, the New Directions and The Warblers, the 2012 Western Ohio Sectional Championship between The Rosedale Mennonites, the New Directions and the Warblers, and the 2013 Midwest Regional Championship between The Hoosierdaddies, the New Directions and The Waffletoots.
The school musicals of Cabaret and The Rocky Horror Picture Show would have taken place here, had they both not been cancelled. Then in Season Three, the school musical of West Side Story takes place here, with Rachel as Maria, Blaine as Tony, and other New Directions members cast as characters/minor characters. Later on in Season Four, the school musical of Grease takes place here, with Marley as Sandy and Ryder as Danny. The rest of the New Directions and former member Santana, were cast as the other characters from Grease.
OverviewIn the season one episode Home, Sue claims the auditorium, giving Glee Club no place to practice. Will starts looking for a new place and comes to a roller rink where he meets April Rhodes again, after being acquaintances in high school and then reconnecting earlier in season one (The Rhodes Not Taken). April has become a wealthy old man's mistress, but he dies of a stroke and April is given two million dollars by the man's wife to keep quiet about the affair. April pays a little of it to Principal Figgins in order to permanently claim the auditorium for the Glee Club. The auditorium is renamed The April Rhodes Civic Pavilion, dedicated to April for her generosity. Since then, Sue has not once interfered with the New Directions' auditorium time.
In the Seasons, various songs are performed, whether that be by New Directions, New Directions members performing by themselves or with someone else, auditions or competitions. Sometimes, scenes take place in the auditorium rather than just performances.
List of Songs performed in The April Rhodes Civic Pavilion
|I Saw Her Standing There||Love Love Love||New Directions Boys|
|Something||Tina in the Sky with Diamonds||Sam with Jake and Ryder|
|Let It Be||New Directions|
|Seasons of Love||The Quarterback||Kurt, Mercedes, Mike, Puck, Santana, and Tina with New Directions|
|Fire and Rain||Artie and Sam|
|Applause||A Katy or A Gaga||Artie, Blaine, Sam, Ryder, and Marley|
|Wide Awake||Jake, Tina, Kitty, and Unique|
|Blurred Lines||The End of Twerk||Artie, Bree, Jake, Kitty, and Will|
|On Our Way||New Directions|
- For Season One, they used a real auditorium, but to save time from rushing from place to place, they rebuilt the entire auditorium on the Paramount lot for the purpose of Season Two onwards. It is exactly the same with the exception of two rows of seats removed for the crane.
- Le Jazz Hot, by Kurt was the first performance to be filmed in the new auditorium.
- Rachel performed the first and last songs in the Auditorium in Season 2.
- The number of songs performed here have gone up every season.
- Season Three had more songs in its first 12 episodes than Season 1 and 2 had in their entire seasons (each, not combined).
- McKinley's auditorium had not hosted a show choir competition until the 2011 Sectionals championship, the last time was back in 1963 as quoted by Finn in Hold on to Sixteen. It was used then in Hold on to Sixteen for Sectionals and then in On My Way for Regionals. It was used for 2012 Sectionals in Thanksgiving. It was used for 2013 Regionals in All or Nothing
- Excluding episode 7, someone from New Directions has performed a song in every episode of Season 3 in the Auditorium.
- There were more songs sung here in the third season then there were in first two season combined. (S1: 21, S2:30, S3: 59)
- We Are Young uses the same background as Dog Days Are Over, both being group numbers of winning the Sectionals performance.
- Despite being purchased by April Rhodes specifically for usage by the New Directions, Finn was told in Swan Song that he could only book the Auditorium for about 5 minutes after New Directions lost Sectionals.