|The Rocky Horror Glee Show|
|Season Two, Episode Five|
|First Aired||October 26, 2010|
"Never Been Kissed"
The Rocky Horror Glee Show is the fifth episode of Glee's second season and the twenty-seventh episode overall. It premiered on October 26, 2010. It pays tribute to the 1975 film, The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
An EP, Glee: The Music, The Rocky Horror Glee Show, accompanying the episode was released on October 19, 2010. Seven songs from The Rocky Horror Picture Show were covered in this episode. Two of the original 1975 film cast, Meat Loaf (Eddie) and Barry Bostwick (Brad), had cameos in the episode. Puck was absent in this episode seeing that he was still in juvenile detention.
Will decides to have to the glee club perform The Rocky Horror Picture Show for the annual school musical after learning of Emma's newfound love for the cult classic. Despite Sue's usual scheming, the members of New Directions inject their distinctive style to the show's timesless tracks. As casting begins, Emma calls in Carl who auditions for the role of Eddie, much to Will's dismay. His audition song in the choir room surprises the Glee Club, and so Will gives in. As casting progresses, Will finds it hard to find the right people for the parts because the musical is very controversial. Will the musical go through as planned? Or is Will's choice and motivation to produce the school production questionable?
The episode opens with the red lips of glee club member Santana in a black background as she sings Science Fiction Double Feature. In the McKinley High auditorium, the New Directions members rehearse The Rocky Horror Show, singing There's a Light (Over at the Frankenstein Place), which is interrupted by Dr. Carl Howell, who accuses club director, Will Schuester of trying to steal his girlfriend, school guidance counselor Emma Pillsbury.
The episode continues in flashback format, with Will recalling the events leading up to Carl's accusation. When Will learns that Emma and Carl attended a midnight screening of The Rocky Horror Picture Show which has helped to lessen some of her obsessive–compulsive behaviors, he decides to direct a school production of the musical, with members of New Directions as the cast members.
The club co-captains Finn Hudson and Rachel Berry take the lead roles of Brad and Janet. Kurt Hummel is asked to play Dr. Frank-N-Furter, but refuses. Instead, Mike Chang volunteers to play Dr. Frank-N-Furter, and Sam Evans is cast as Rocky. While Sam is secure in his own body image, Finn feels self-conscious at the prospect of appearing in his underwear.
News station managers, Tim Stanwick and Barry Jeffries, about producing an undercover exposé of the school play, approach Sue Sylvester in her office, which could land her an Emmy. As they rehearse Damn It, Janet, when Rachel sung her first few lines, Sue entered the choir room and convinces Will to involve her in the production. Will also takes Emma on as costume designer, but when Mike's parents refuse to let him play a transvestite, Will informs Sue that the show is cancelled. Upon learning that Carl is a Rocky Horror Picture Show fan, Sue manipulates him into helping to save the production. He auditions with the song Whatever Happened to Saturday Night?, however feels that it would be more appropriate for him to play Eddie than Frank-N-Furter. Inspired by the words in the script "Don't Dream It, Be It," Mercedes Jones claims the role of Frank-N-Furter.
Mercedes performs Sweet Transvestite during a dress rehearsal, and Will grows increasingly jealous of Carl as he joins the production.
Will decides that he will play Rocky instead of Sam, and asks Emma to rehearse the provocative Touch a Touch a Touch a Touch Me with him, conveniently forgetting the disturbing fact that one of his students will be singing the number to him during actual performances. Will is later called into Figgins' office, where he learns that Finn has been suspended for walking through the hallway in his underwear, attempting to become comfortable in his costume. He is able to convince Figgins to reduce Finn's punishment, and the episode returns to the present moment as Carl confronts Will over his private rehearsal with Emma.
Cheerleader, Becky Jackson alerts Will to the fact that Sue is planning an exposé of the show. He confronts Sue, but concedes that his motivations in putting on the production were questionable. He cancels the show which angers Sue as she will no longer win her local emmy with the news exposé. Will also tells Emma that he will cease interfering with her relationship.
Will tells New Directions that they will still perform the musical, but for themselves rather than for an audience as Rocky Horror embodies what the club is about. The episode ends with the glee club performing Time Warp.
Rocky Horror Show Cast
- Dr. Frank-N-Furter - A Scientist
- Janet Weiss - A Heroine
- Brad Majors - A Hero
- Riff Raff - A Handyman
- Magenta - A Domestic
- Columbia - A Groupie
- Dr. Everett V. Scott - A Rival Scientist
- Rocky Horror - A Creation
- The Criminologist - An Expert
- Eddie - Ex Delivery Boy
- Usherette Trixie
- The Transylvanians
|Song Title||Original Artist||Performer(s)|
|Science Fiction Double Feature||Cast of The Rocky Horror Picture Show||Santana Lopez|
|There's a Light (Over at the Frankenstein Place)||New Directions|
|Damn It, Janet||Finn Hudson and Rachel Berry with Mercedes Jones, Kurt Hummel, and Quinn Fabray|
|Whatever Happened to Saturday Night?||Carl Howell with New Directions|
|Sweet Transvestite||Mercedes Jones with Santana Lopez|
and Brittany Pierce
|Touch a Touch a Touch a Touch Me||Emma Pillsbury with Santana Lopez,|
Brittany Pierce, Will Schuester, Kurt Hummel,
Carl Howell, and Finn Hudson
|Time Warp||New Directions|
|Planet, Schmanet, Janet †‡||Carl Howell with Emma Pillsbury|
- † denotes an unreleased song.
- ‡ denotes that the song was either cut from the episode entirely or featured in the Director's Cut only.
Special Guest Star
- Iqbal Theba as Principal Figgins
- Harry Shum Jr. as Mike Chang
- Chord Overstreet as Sam Evans
- James Earl III as Azimio Adams
- Max Adler as Dave Karofsky
- Bill A. Jones as Rod Remington
Absent Cast Members
- The letters in the title-card resemble the original Rocky Horror Show font.
- This is Glee's first tribute episode honoring a musical as opposed to a singer or band. The second was West Side Story in The First Time and the third was Grease in Glease.
- This is the first episode that contains a wordplay with the word "Glee" in its title, the others being A Very Glee Christmas, Saturday Night Glee-ver, Glease, and Glee, Actually.
- Jayma Mays sang Touch a Touch a Touch a Touch Me for her Glee audition. However, it was in a much lower key.
- Lea played the role of Janet in a benefit concert, with Matthew playing Brad, months before the airing of the episode.
- Amber Riley said the costume she wore was very tight, but in it, she felt like a man in a dress.
- During the first take of Sweet Transvestite, Amber got stuck in the elevator for 20 minutes as it was going up and suddenly broke down.
- While filming, Chris Colfer said he got jealous of Chord's abs.
- The two news representatives who visit Sue mention a news story on "Africanized killer bees." The same story was mentioned by Emma in Preggers.
- Chris Colfer's hair had to be glued down for him to play the mostly-bald Riff Raff.
- As of Season Two, this has been Dianna Agron's favorite episode to do, mainly because of the costumes.
- The ‘Chimp Wedding’ (as seen in the news broadcast at the start of the episode) could be a reference to the wedding Brad and Janet attend at the beginning of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
- Matthew was in the Broadway revival of The Rocky Horror Picture Show in 2001, playing a Phantom.
- Barry Bostwick, who plays Tim Stanwick in this episode, plays Brad in The Rocky Horror Picture Show film. Meatloaf, who plays Barry Jeffries, plays Eddie in The Rocky Horror Picture Show film. One of his songs was also featured in the show's third season (Paradise by the Dashboard Light).
- Sam mentions a Men of McKinley calendar. Later, in Season Four, Tina initiates the same calender to raise money for Regionals.
- When Jayma first moved to LA, she played Janet Weiss in a small theatre production.
- The Rocky Horror Show's creator, Richard O' Brien, was dissapointed at the show for having changed the word "transsexual" to "sensational", claiming that the show decided to "dilute down" the themes of the musical. Source
- Continuing the show's confusion between the musical and the film adaptation established in The Rhodes Not Taken, the song "Science Fiction Double Feature" was sung by a pair of usherettes as opposed to the disembodied lips in the film, the orchestration of the musical simply called for a small rock combo as opposed to the full orchestra and band shown, and the "Criminologist" is simply the "Narrator" in the musical.
- Just before they are rehearsing the Janet! Dr Scott! Janet! Brad! Rocky! Grrr! scene, Artie (playing Dr Scott) says Eddie? I've seen him. This line is said by Brad in the original movie and should therefore have been said by Mr Schuester (actually by Finn but due to his absence in this scene Mr Schue says Finns lines)
- Just after Sweet Transvestite Carl breaks through the wall on a motorcycle and says Mr Director, I take that wall out right? to which Mr Schuester responds You're two acts early, Carl. You're supposed to bust though the dinnerparty scene. This is not correct beacuse in the original 1975 movie, Eddie breaks through just after I can make you a man in the Creation scene and not the dinnerparty (Eddie is actually dead by the time of the dinnerparty...)
Becky: Give me some chocolate, or I will cut you.
—Becky, The Rocky Horror Glee Show
Sue: It's that time of the year again when parents encourage their little boys to dress like little girls and little girls to dress like whores.
—Sue, The Rocky Horror Glee Show
Kurt: So what are you going to be for Halloween this year?
Sam: Can I wear some gold board shorts above this? I think these are too short, and I'm afraid of showing some nuttage.
—Sam, The Rocky Horror Glee Show
Sam: Where are you going?
Sam: Damn those Cool Ranch Doritos.
—Sam, The Rocky Horror Glee Show
Mike: My parents aren't comfortable with me dressing up as a tranny.
—Mike, The Rocky Horror Glee Show
Kurt: There is no way I'm playing a transvestite in high heels and fishnets and wearing lipstick.
Santana: Yeah, earlier today Artie asked if he could make a gigantic omelet when I’m done with the ostrich eggs I’m smuggling in my bra.
Carl: You all have a hole to fill and I'm just trying to help fill it.
Sue: We've lost the true meaning of Halloween... FEAR!