Vocal Adrenaline is the show choir at Carmel High School, and they were the arch rivals of McKinley High's New Directions. They first appeared in Pilot and last appeared in the season three episode Nationals.
Vocal Adrenaline was first seen in Pilot, performing Rehab and intimidating New Directions. This sparks a rivalry between the two show choirs. They are again seen when New Directions visit their school in order to hire Dakota Stanley. It is shown they practice very hard and cannot stop or leave no matter what. They go on to perform a very polished version of Mercy which Dakota claims is horrible.
In Hell-O, Rachel starts dating Vocal Adrenaline lead Jesse St. James which concerns Will. He visits Carmel High to see a performance of Highway To Hell which is well choreographed and even features fire. Their new director - Shelby Corcoran, tells the show choir to take a break where she meets Will and they proceed to make out. It is later seen she has put Jesse up to dating Rachel.
In The Power Of Madonna, Jesse transfers out of Vocal Adrenaline and joins the New Directions under Shelby's orders. In Theatricality they are seen rehearsing intensely to a Lady Gaga number in full costume which involves theatricality. Shelby explains to them it can be subtley done and performs Funny Girl to the choir.
In Funk the rivalry between the two choirs comes to a head after Jesse transfers back to the club and they perform an impressive rendition of Another One Bites the Dust which leaves the New Directions all feeling low. After the performance, New Directions discovers that Vocal Adrenaline also toilet papered the choir room to further intimidate them before Regionals. They later egg Rachel in the car park, with Jesse betraying her for the club. This prompts New Directions to perform Give Up the Funk to show Vocal Adrenaline that they are not defeated by their bullying. Vocal Adrenaline is stunned by their ability to perform a funk number, and they become depressed, as funk is their only weakness; Giselle admitting that they're "soulless automatons."
They compete against New Directions and Aural Intensity at the Regionals, performing Bohemian Rhapsody which the judges enjoy. They are awarded first place and are last seen cheering as they are handed the trophy.
After New Directions fails at recruiting Sunshine Corazon, an aspiring singer due to Rachel sending her to a crackhouse instead of the audition, Sue Sylvester informs Vocal Adrenaline's new coach, Dustin Goolsby, about her. Dustin is quick to win Sunshine over, giving Sunshine's mom a green card and condo. In "Comeback", Mr. Schuester announces the competitors for Regionals and Vocal Adrenaline isn't on it. Vocal Adrenaline would be aided by the Legion of Doom headed by Sue to enable them to gain advantage over the New Directions at the Nationals.
In New York, they performed As Long as You're There, with Sunshine leading them, as their bid for the Nationals. They made it to the Top 10 and will move on the next round. However, the result for this season's Nationals is not revealed.
This season did not focused on the rivalry of VA and the New Directions as much as the previous one. It is evident by the lesser screen time they got, the songs they sang (only one) and lesser appearances of Sunshine and Dustin than what have been expected in the season premiere.
In Saturday Night Glee-ver, it's revealed that Jesse St. James is the new head coach of Vocal Adrenaline and Unique is the lead vocalist. Unique seeks Mercedes and Kurt for help as she wants to perform at their Regionals, dressing in traditional feminine clothes and a wig. She explains that she feels like Unique is her real self. Sue later knows that Mercedes and Kurt were talking to Unique and tells them to give high heels to encourage Unique to dance in them on stage and Vocal Adrenaline will lose. At Vocal Adrenaline's Regionals, Mercedes and Kurt attend to try and unsuccessfully persuade Unique to not go on stage presenting femininely. Jesse finds Mercedes and Kurt talking to her and drags both of them out as they complain their Unique's friends. Jesse says "more the reason to fire him after the show," as the two culture makers look in shock.
While, on the stage, Vocal Adrenaline begins to perform their Regionals number Boogie Shoes. It seems that Vocal Adrenaline's members have decreased. As soon as Jesse sees Unique wearing heels, a dress, and a wig, he hurriedly tries to tell Unique to get off the stage but the crowd begins to enjoy the performance, including Mercedes and Kurt. Later at the lockers, Mercedes and Kurt are talking about how unbelievable the performance was and that Vocal Adrenaline won. Meaning that New Directions are competing with them at Nationals.
In Nationals, Vocal Adrenaline performed Starships and Pinball Wizard in 2012 Show Choir National Championship. Jesse said to Rachel before the competition that if Vocal Adrenaline gets 2nd place or lower, it would end. They got the second place, and Jesse was possibly fired after the Nationals.
Former Members And Directors
- Rehab by Amy Winehouse. (Pilot)
- Mercy by Duffy. (Acafellas)
- Highway to Hell by AC/DC. Sung by Jesse St. James. (Hell-O)
- Burning Up by Madonna. Sung by Jesse St. James. (The Power of Madonna - cut from episode)
- Bad Romance by Lady Gaga. Danced to. (Theatricality)
- Another One Bites the Dust by Queen. Sung by Jesse St. James. (Funk)
- Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. Sung by Jesse St. James. (Journey)
- Boogie Shoes by KC and the Sunshine Band. Sung by Unique. (Saturday Night Glee-ver)
- Starships by Nicki Minaj. Sung by Unique. (Nationals)
- Pinball Wizard by The Who. Sung by Unique. (Nationals)
Setlist of Competitions
- Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. Solos: Jesse.
- As Long as You're There by Glee. Solos: Sunshine.
- Boogie Shoes by KC and the Sunshine Band. Solos: Wade/Unique
- Vocal Adrenaline is much larger (26 members) and more professional than New Directions. This was evident until Season Three.
- According to Shelby in Funk, the club has an extremely large booster club, whose funds allowed Shelby to buy every member a Range Rover as a gift for their Sectionals victory.
- Vocal Adrenaline are extremely competitive, and the members are required to be fully committed to the show choir.
- They rehearse every single day from 2:30 to midnight.
- No one is allowed to leave for any reason (no water, breaks, or excuses), including heat exhaustion or Crohn's disease.
- Despite their great skill, they apparently aren't very emotional and at the end of "Funk" refer to themselves as "soulless automatons". This is apparently why they cannot do funk numbers: they cannot manifest the required emotion.
- They give their dancers human growth hormone.
- They went as far as to fail a student for six years in a row to keep him in the club, simply because of his ability to do triple backflips.
- They use spotlights so bright they are required to wear sunblock on stage.
- Vocal Adrenaline is one of three show choirs other than New Directions to appear on a Glee album, along with the Jane Addams Academy and the Dalton Academy Warblers.
- They gave Sunshine Corazon and her mom green cards and a condo so that she would join them.
- Their style is to choose their best performer and revolves the whole performance around him/her. It is evident in their performances as Jesse, Sunshine and Unique take the lead and everybody seems to be just on supporting roles.
- According to Jesse St.James, when a member of Vocal Adrenaline dies they use their body as a prop.
- They are practicing 24 hours everyday before a contest (especially Nationals).
- They are given IV drips before major competitions (particularly Nationals).
- Sunshine even considers returning back home to the Philippines just to leave Vocal Adrenaline. (New York)
- They usually perform in blue. Exceptions are Highway to Hell (Hell-O), Bad Romance (Theatricality), Bohemian Rhapsody (Journey to Regionals) and Boogie Shoes (Saturday Night Glee-ver).
- As of New York, they had yet to lose a competition for five years. However, it is revealed in I Am Unicorn that they came in second place instead of first, therefore leading to Dustin Goolsby getting fired.
- They are very popular in their school, and they never got bullied or slushied by jocks.
- Former Vocal Adrenaline star Jesse St. James, has return as the new coach of them after Dustin Gooslby got fired. (Prior to The Purple Piano Project), (As of Saturday Night Glee-ver).
- Although deemed as New Directions' arch rivals, this was not that evident in Season 2 and 3 because of the scarcity of the appearance and it was only evident in the near finale of Season One.
- If you compared the performances of VA from Season One and Boogie Shoes, you'd see that the number of members seemed to have depleted over time.
- Nationals is the first episode we see them perform more than one number in a tournament
- Some of the people who portray the members of Vocal Adrenaline have been recast as students at McKinley (some as cheerios) or other competitive choirs.
- All three former leadsingers, Jesse St. James, Sunshine and Wade "Unique" Adams have been part of New Directions at one point in the series.
- Season Four is the first season in which they don't appear at all.
- Two of their three coaches had a relationship with Rachel: Shelby was Rachel's mom and Jesse was Rachel's boyfriend.